The Tecsun PL-380: a great travel radio

My Tecsun PL-380 and Eagle Creek pack

SWLing Post reader, Alan, commented on our “most durable radios for travel” post:

You should include the Tecsun PL-380 [on] the list. It is an excellent tuner with good selectivity. The ETM feature was made for a traveler. The radio is cheap enough that it won’t bother you if you lose it or break it.

I have to say, I agree! In fact, I travel with the PL-380 quite often. It has become my back-up radio when I make field recordings (my primary portable for field is the Sony ICF-SW7600GR).

Eagle Creek pack with contents: Tecsun PL-380, Zoom H1 recorder, earphones, audio cables, external antenna, spare batteries and Kindle. Click to enlarge.

In fact, I have a small Eagle Creek bag with a shoulder strap that holds my field recording kit and other electronic “necessities:”  Tecsun PL-380, Zoom H1 recorder, ear buds, audio cables, roll up antenna, spare batteries, and, of course, my Kindle (so I can read while waiting for my plane/train/bus). In a pinch, it can even accommodate a Sony AN-LP1
active antenna (which I use primarily in hotel rooms with inoperable windows). To help you visualize, check out the photo on the right.  It’s my grab-and-go bag.

This entry was posted in Articles, Radios, Shortwave Radio, Shortwave Radio Reviews and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to The Tecsun PL-380: a great travel radio

1. Pingback: The most durable portable shortwave radios for traveling | The SWLing Post

2. shjawn says:

Just bought a set from http://www.avcomm.com.au. Great price and service.

3. Pingback: A Review of the Bonito 1102S RadioJet 24 bit IF Receiver | The SWLing Post

4. Pingback: One bag + radio = the way to go | The SWLing Post

5. Noble West says:

I bought this reciever from Amazon seller Lycheers and got it on Friday or Saturday.I must say this does a great job pulling in stations and includes almost evcerything you need to get started out of the box! Did not take long to setup either.Radio Australia coms in great on 9580 here in my mornings.the Decibel meter is a nice change from the normal 5 step graph design.Tecsun is tops with this portable!

6. Pingback: Tecsun PL-380 | Shortwave Radio Index

7. Pingback: Troy found the perfect gear bag | The SWLing Post

8. Jeremy Betteridge says:

I bought this radio and was initially pleased. The airband was easy to tune but I could not work out how to save the frequencies to memory and no help from the manufacturer.

Then after about 3-=4 months it stopped re-charging the batteries and so I changed the re-chargable batteries – to no avail.

No response whatever from the company.

Very under-whelmed by this; a waste of nearly £100

• Thomas says:

Sorry to hear about this, Jeremy. Sounds like you may have gotten a lemon. If you purchased domestically, perhaps there’s a warranty to claim?
      -Thomas

Sangean PT-50
    Sangean ATS-404
    Sony ICF-M260

Thanks Sir.

• Thomas says:

Jai,

That is a tough call because some of those radios have SSB and some do not.

I am quite partial to the Tecsun PL-380 or new PL-310 for a radio that lacks SSB. I also like the Grundig G3 and Kaito KA1103 (Degen DE1103). Be careful if searching for the G3, though, as the series has been discontinued and some online retailers (Amazon, for example) have shipped out used and faulty ones.

Cheers,
      Thomas

10. Zach says:

I use it quite much and i am very happy. it is quite durable. About 90 or more hours with he built in battery and only using earphones . I had a minor problem that sometimes it overloads on SW . and has quite high audio level using eaphones Just on 5 it is OK inside buildings!

11. Pingback: Traveling light, SWLing right: the best shortwave radios for travel | The SWLing Post

12. Pingback: BBC World Service features DRM | The SWLing Post

13. Pingback: Just arrived: the Tecsun PL-310ET | The SWLing Post

14. Pingback: Field Recording with the Tecsun PL-380 and Transcend MP330 | The SWLing Post