Yesterday, when I attempted to start my WinRadio Excalibur software, I received an error message from Windows 7. No matter if I restarted my PC, re-installed the control software or the USB driver, I simply could not get the Excalibur software to launch.
I navigated to WinRadio’s software download page and found that on December 20th, 2012, they made a new version of the Excalibur software available to download: version 1.61. This is the first official upgrade I have seen in months.
I uninstalled my old version (important: being careful to tell WinRadio not to remove my shared libraries!) and installed 1.61. I restarted my PC, launched WinRadio and all was back to normal (save, back to default settings, of course).
I then received a message from my buddy, Dave, describing the same problem with his Excalibur and noted that other users had complained about this in a WinRadio discussion group. This morning, I received a comment from a user on the SWLing Post describing the same problem.
I think it’s safe to assume the previous version of the WinRadio Excalibur control software could not deal with the year changing from 2012 to 2013. Not exactly Y2K, but a bit odd.