“I listen to NPR…on my shortwave radio”

npr_logoLast year, National Public Radio (NPR) asked listeners when and how they listen to NPR. Their goal was to put together clips into a short spot for the network’s spring fund drive. After telling them that I’ve been known to listen to NPR on shortwave, they asked for me to record a short clip stating this fact. I amiably complied.

Last week, I rediscovered the clip. The spot would have been aired on local member stations in the first half of 2013:

Have you listened to NPR on shortwave? Both the American Forces Network and Radio Australia broadcast NPR news content.

This entry was posted in Broadcasters, News, Shortwave Radio and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to “I listen to NPR…on my shortwave radio”

1. princehifi says:

I have not heard NPR on shortwave, however I have listened to CBC on 6160 khz from their transmitter site in St. John’s, Newfoundland (300 watts into a folded dipole plus rear reflector wire).

What shortwave frequency could NPR be found on?

2. don says:

who would be listening to npr on shortwave? Just turn on your fm radio , you can’t escape it, it’s worse than talk radio on the AM band. DON

3. Keith Perron says:

I’ve heard them a few times on AFN.

4. princehifi says:

Who would listen on shortwave? But it sounds so much cooler with selective fading, adjacent channel interference and isosondes (thweep!). It’s the best kind of ‘processing’, makes pop radio sound ‘edgy’. Bring the noise!

5. Jelle says:

Cool, I also like to listen to NPR on mediumwave here in the Netherlands. There are a couple of AFN relays just over the border in Germany.

6. I have just received a shortwave radio from my father in-law and started listening to NPR Australia on it. I love the poor reception, squawks, back-ground noise and “live” feel for the broadcast medium. I still love high-tech but I’m finding much more life in the old analogue ways.

• Thomas says:

I couldn’t agree with you more, Andrew! In what part of the world are you located? Curious what time and frequency you’re hearing NPR via RA. They’re never playing NPR content when I listen, though I’m well aware they do.
      Cheers,