I recently received the following message from SWLing Post contributor, Larry Thompson:
I’m 74 and want to pare down my extensive receiver collection. I have a number of receivers and portable shortwaves, as well as antennas that I want to get to good homes. They would be free with the recipient just paying for shipping and packing at my local UPS store.
Wow, Larry! This is incredibly kind of you.
Larry has very few conditions:
- Everything is free, but you must pay UPS shipping and packing from St. Louis, Missouri to your address. Keep in mind that if you live outside the USA, it might not make sense in terms of shipping costs and import duties/fees to request an item. At present, international shipping is quite pricey and UPS often requires their premium parcel services for international parcels. Since the UPS Store will also pack these items for Larry, you must assume it might cost an additional $5-15 for the packing depending on the size of the item.
- Only one item per person (so find the one item you really want and only send an email for that particular item)
- Larry wants these to go to good homes, meaning don’t request one unless you actually plan to use it yourself. Please don’t request one to resell or flip. Larry wants these items to help others who might want or need a good receiver.
Here are the items Larry is offering the SWLing Post community:
- Grundig G5 great on FM, but I haven’t determined if the SW and AM bands are working properly.
- Sony ICF-SW7600GR like new, excellent cond. Outstanding rig!
- CountyComm GP-5/SSB like new. Tiny, but powerful, sensitive receiver. Fits in your pocket
- Tivoli Audio Pal Red AM/FM/aux Great sound, cool vernier dial like new. Great to play your iPod music.
- Icom IC-R71A needs some repairs. Quadruple conversion multi-band communications desktop receiver. Ask about condition.
- SDRPlay RSP1 (software defined receiver) like new, hardly been used.
- MLA-30 amplified magnetic loop
- MLA-30+ amplified magnetic loop
- AirSpy YouLoop passive magnetic loop
- Karas/Doxytronics HF-319 passive magnetic loop antenna and coax
How to request
If you feel like you’d give one of these items a good home, simply send an email to the address below with the following information:
- Which item you would like and why you would like it or how you plan to use it.
- What you can offer for shipping to your location from St. Louis, MO 63108. Again, keep in mind that Larry will use a UPS Store in his neighborhood for both packing and shipping, so you will need to provide extra funds for them to pack it.
We want to make this as easy for Larry as possible and for him not to end up paying the difference in shipping, so if you ask for an item, please be willing to pay at least the full price his UPS store asks.
Here’s the temporary email address for Larry’s giveaway: [email protected]
When all items have been accounted for, I’ll update this article with a message at the top of the post and delete the email forwarding address.
Thank you, Larry!
My back of the envelop calculations indicate that Larry is easily giving away $700-900+ worth of radio gear.
Thank you so much, Larry, for spreading the radio love!