Many thanks to a number of SWLing Post contributors who contacted me about a new documentary focused on the impact of Radio Australia. Peter Marks writes:
The celebration of 80 years of international broadcasting from Australia continues. The ABC has published “Australia Calling: A look at 80 years of Radio Australia and ABC international broadcasting” today:
And tonight there’s a documentary being shown on TV.
There’s even a story about the making of that documentary here:
Thank you, Peter! I just started watching the documentary via ABC’s iView.
Note that the program is geo-blocked and not available outside of Australia (unless, like me, you have a good VPN). [No longer geo-blocked! See update.]
Here’s a link to the documentary on iView:
Peter also shared a number of related stories–some of which we’ve published in the past:
- Related Story: China takes over Radio Australia’s old shortwave frequencies
- Related Story: ABC boss grilled in Senate Estimates over axing shortwave service
- Related Story: Xenophon leads calls for ABC to reinstate shortwave radio service
- Related Story: Pacific loses radio service that evades dictators and warns of disasters
- Related Story: ABC’s decision to end shortwave radio service criticised