(Source: ARRL News)

During this session, the [ARRL] Board took the following actions:

Accepted the final recommendations of the Band Planning Committee. Committee chair and ARRL First Vice President Mike Raisbeck, K1TWF, introduced the motion to adopt the plan. An earlier draft of the plan was introduced at the Board’s in-person January meeting. After the January Board meeting, the Committee received and considered hundreds of comments from interested amateurs. The final band plan can be viewed on the ARRL website.

The new plan only applies to the HF band and makes no changes to 160 and 60 meters. A couple other notes from the accepted plan:

• No changes to CW allocations throughout all amateur bands
  • RTTY and all other narrowband, non-ACDS modes permitted wherever data
    modes are allowed

As you read through the changes, keep in mind that the new plan addresses expanded Technician HF privileges and also re-defines ACDS (Automatically Controlled Digital Stations) allocations among other modifications.

Technicians will be happy to note they’ll have new phone and image privileges on 80 meters (3,900 – 4,000 kHz), 40 meters (7,225 – 7,300), and 15 meters (21,350 – 21,450 kHz).

Click here to download a PDF of the accepted (final) proposed plan.

47 thoughts on “New Technician HF Privileges Defined: ARRL board accepts final recommendations of the Band Planning Committee

1. Bruce Palmer

I’m a tech and don’t understand all the complaining, as just listening to people talking who when looked up on QRZ as extras, that don’t know the answer to questions that I knew the answer to before I got my ticket. I guess my question to the complainers is, how did they get their extra ticket or basically for SOME extras, what makes them more privileged then atleast a general.

I have an ic7300 and 9700 and intend on getting general and extra whether it changes or not. So all i have to say is, quit complaining this is not the 20th century anymore, you have to move with the times or watch the hobby go down the tubes.

1. Thomas Post author

This now goes to the FCC. I wouldn’t expect an acceptance from them for months especially since most at the agency are working from home.

2. Joe Jordan

Agree ham was on its last leg, new techs have Increased the interest most on 2meters some on 10 more freq space would increase interest, I have never had but 2 hams who were rude, most willing to help

3. Kevin Alewine

I’m a 63 year old Extra class licensed for 46 years – probably the typical ham you see wandering around hamfests these days. We absolutely need some young blood injected into the hobby, but I’m wondering if granting some voice privileges on 80, 40, and 15 was the solution. Expanding the digital segments of those bands IMO would have had more appeal to a younger generations that prefer texting to talking.

4. Anon

All this whining and complaining from some of the older hams about how unfair it is or how they should just leave things as they are is crazy. This is a big part of the reason why there aren’t more new people to the hobby. The new guys get turned off by their attitudes. Ask yourself a question: If you encountered yourself on the air, would you want to talk to you?

This is good for the hobby. It will motivate more people to get their licenses and to use those frequencies. Otherwise, they can get sold off to some commerical company.

1. Anonymous

I am a licensed tech, and I can say that if these new privileges are passed by the FCC, I will get me an HF rig and try it out. Then depending on whether or not I like it enough will depend on testing for my general license. I had no motivation to get my general as I was satisfied with the digital bands as well as my local 2 meter repeaters, but once I try the hf bands out, my mind may change about upgrading so I can expand those privileges. Its a win win in my opinion, because it injects new people into the airwaves for you Elmer’s to teach and us newbies to learn from, plus ensuring that the bands are ours and not sold off. And if I come across someone not too enthusiastic about me being on the bands, my response is i am not your enemy, I am just a small part of the equation in saving our frequencies for future generations. You still have way more privileges than a technician, and I would hope that you would be willing to share your knowledge so I might be motivated to upgrade. A bad attitude will run some people off for sure.

1. Thomas Post author

And I’m willing to bet, you might go on and grab your General after you get a proper taste of HF. That’s what I like about these changes. They give you a taste so you’ll know if you want to take it further.

5. Chuck Patterson

The reason they are doing this expansion is to get more
    Hams using the ham bands so our bands won’t be auctioned off by the politicians and actually used for advancement of the hobby. And some of the new digital modes are amazing and more reliable comms than CW
    with error correction and actually recieved below the noise level. Nothing wrong with cw if that’s your thing..
    AA4CP Chuck

1. Mason KE0YYG

For the record, even though I now have some HF ability, that isn’t going to stop me from getting extra. I’ve been studying for a while now and as a technician I think this is a great way to make more hams want to test for extra or general. I understand your frustrations but pleas understand that not everyone with a tech lisence realizes what they’re missing out on until they get a taste of HF.

2. Daniel KC9HZN

Techs have had limited HF access since 2006 or so (when they dropped Morse entirely).

Anyway, I think this is really interesting. While I like the idea of CW, recognize its utility for DXing and QRP, and would really like to freshen up on it (I barely got the 5 WPM for my General before they dropped code completely), giving Technicians access to more HF modes is probably a good thing. Giving Technicians some access to ACDS is a great idea if it means that pirate cruisers will be shamed into getting a license! I mean, I got my ticket at 14, surely they’re smarter than a 14 year old! 😉 (General at 15, I recall. Took me a while to reach Extra.) I don’t feel that this cheapens my Extra class privileges any (other than maybe the changes to 80M voice, but the 80M voice band was oddly huge, and 75M voice has a bit of an unsavory reputation in some parts). If anything, it cheapens General a little, I’d kinda like to see some of the Advanced segments become General or see Advanced licensees upgraded to Extra.

3. Ken Pooler

I agree with you Totaly, I’m still just a coded General and have been for over 20 years. Worked my butt off for it. I guess I will have to get extra now sence they will taking more of the general part of the band. That is why I am not a ARRL MEMBER

6. Dan

Any change is good for this hobby. It’s been stagnant for too long and holds little interest with young people any longer.

1. Dan

CB didnt keep up with the times, either and it’s now dead. Radio technology hasn’t improved in 30 years aside from LEDs.

Ham radio must change.

2. Tom Servo

I’ve listened to enough nonsense on 40 and 20 meters over the last few years with my regular old non-ham radio to know that I have zero interest in participating in any of the voice comms that go on these bands NOW. They sound like 2m repeaters did 10-15 years ago when I gave up ever listening to those bands because of all the crap I would hear on any given day.

3. Marcos

Cb’s is one of the largest growth markets in the wireless industry the past few years. Unlike ham radio. Its dieing man and its about to be takin from us and auctioned off. So whatever it takes to keep it alive. Anything is better then subbcuming to POC.

7. Chris R Kilgus

I remember taking the Gereral code test of 13 WPM in front of a FCC examiner in 1959. I was scared to death. It seemed much faster than I had practiced. I did not pass that time but I did a couple months later when the exam came back to Cincinnati.

Extra now, loved radio over the years. 73, AA6MT

8. Richard Marsden II

I got started when the no code tech got started, I then took the 5words per minute test because I wanted HF privileges finally took the general test and passed currently working on the extra class just because. My call is N7RHV

9. Court

Just get rid of technician and expand general test. If I had known better last year, I would have studied and taken general same time. Having tech basically useless except for CW on HF.

1. Andrew

I agree with you, if I had only known how useless my Tech was going to be I would have just gone after General Class. There is nothing to be had in the way of vhf/UHF where I live. I am currently working to upgrade.

1. Dan

Change was supposed to be the death of ham radio, but what will actually kill it is people like Richard who refuse to see how much the hobby is hurting.

1. Bruce Sommer

Sorry, this might hurt a few feelings, but life goes on, and so does technology. Up front, I have been a no-code tech since 1991.

The hard truth, consumer technology has already passed Ham Radio by.

30 or 40 years ago, people might turn to their nerdy radio friend to help them make their VCR stop flashing midnight, now they are setting up elaborate networked home theater systems on their own. Today, the average person carries more technology on their hip than the entire NASA organization had when they put the first man on the moon!

Just in the last 5 years, mostly, Ham Radio started to add features to radios, like SD cards and Bluetooth, most consumers have been using that stuff for 10 years.

75 years ago, if you showed a stary eyed kid how you could make beeping noises (CW) and talk to someone on the other side of the planet, they might be intrigued. Today, that same kid would pull out an iPhone and show you real time color High Definition Facetime video. Then, they would ask you why they should want such archaic nonsense.

I read a lot of technical forums about Cellular phones, and the stuff these kids know now days, CDMA, GSM, 4G, 5G, Massive MiMo, things about spectrum propogation and antennas for these networks that would make the average 30 WPM CW warrior cringe. (Admittedly, much of that stuff goes over my head too)

Sorry to say guys, things change, and we are being left behind as the elite nerdy guys. If things don’t change, this hobby will die off with the old geezers (I’m getting there at 58).

If new people, with new things to do, aren’t there to take over, to be pioneers in radio of a new generation, this hobby will be nothing more than something for history to look back on as those guys that were one step above the cavemen who drew hieroglyphics on the wall.

Eventually people moved on from spark gap generators to more modern radios. Time for us to step up, or drag our precious hobby to the grave with us.

Bruce,
          N8ODV

10. Mike

Note that the FCC has to approve the changes before Technicians can start transmitting on the newly proposed frequencies. The ARRL is recommending them; the FCC handles the licensing and privileges.

In general I was in support of the proposal, but I think the changes to 40 meters will create a mess. Repurposing the old 40m Novice CW band to ACDS is going to sting a bit, especially those out there who have their old Novice rigs or enjoy slower CW conversations.

1. Thomas Post author

Definitely. These are just the plans that have been approved to submit from my understanding. It could be quite some time before they’re in play.

My hope is that ACDS won’t completely take over those segments. I certainly don’t want them to because the CW bands, in general, are a nice refuge.

1. Mike

I hope not, but you never know what new wideband mode someone will develop for the ham bands. Isn’t a change to the maximum data rates for HF something the ARRL is also pushing for?

I can go for support of CW only in the first 50kHz of 80/40/20/15/10m as part of the changes.

1. Mike

Novice/Tech can currently use 7025-7125 kHz but CW only. The suggested band plan within 40m hasn’t changed much since Novice hams were required to use crystal-controlled transmitters. So a lot of Novice rig owners need different crystals made up if the recommendation moves.

1. Thomas Post author

When I did my Novice exam, I had to pass a 5 WPM code test. Not terribly hard, but it required some time. Almost immediately after that, they dropped the code test for General and I believe Extra. I got my General and then years later learned CW on my own well past the old General requirements of 13 WPM. I upgraded to Extra a few years ago “just to do it” and am now working on getting my CW speed up to what they used to require at 21 WPM. I think many of us are motivated by the fact we love radio more than anything else.

And you will certainly snag your General! That was actually my favorite test of them all.

2. Mike

I think they should just leave it as it is. Giving more HF privileges to Techs just keeps licensees for wanting to progress to the next levels in my opinion. The Technician test would have to be totally revamped to include HF use. Besides they’re enough lids on HF with higher licenses who don’t know how to operate anyway. Letting Techs down on HF without the training and information would make it worse than what it is now.