Phil identifies mystery radio as the Digitech Audio AR1945

The Digitech AR1945 portable radio

The Digitech AR1945 portable radio (Click to enlarge)

SWLing Post reader, Phil, noticed the unidentified radio from this post as the Digitech Audio AR1945.

He comments:

This radio has been released in Australia via the Jaycar Electronics Stores as the Digitech Audio AR 1945. It has all the hallmarks of Redsun radios.

I bought one and overall the performance is very good on MW and SW, FM is ok and AIR band isn’t too bad. The big drawback is the SSB. It is dreadful, by far the worst SSB demodulation I have ever come across in a radio. This needs to be addressed and once done so, will be a good receiver.

Pity it doesn’t have Synchronous detection as, if you look at the display carefully, provision has been made for this feature. I wonder how it can be activated? I would appreciate any comments on a fix for the SSB

Phil, thanks so much for the mini review. Here’s a link to the AR1945 on Jaycar’s website: http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AR1945

Has anyone found a mod to activate a potentially dormant sync detector or to improve SSB demodulation? Please comment.

I’ve posted various views of the Digitech AR1945 below, along with this full description from Jaycar’s website:

The Digitech AR1945 portable radio“Ideal for a novice ham radio licensor, keen fisherman or even just the outdoors type, this radio has everything you will ever need in a radio with the added function of single-sideband modulation (SSB). SSB is used to obtain current weather reports, so it is perfect to take to sea to avoid changing weather conditions. However with great FM and AM coverage and battery operation it is also perfect for camping, BBQs and thanks to its world/local time selection clock and alarm, it can even be used as an alarm clock! Additional features include auto tuning saving, 500 memories and keypad direct entry. This is certainly a radio of many uses! Power options are 6 x AA (not included) used with supplied 6 x D size battery adaptors, 6 x D batteries (not included) or the supplied 9V PSU. Supplied with a carry strap.”

AR1945side• FM: 87.5-108.0MHz
• MW(AM): 522-1620kHz (9kHz); 530-1710kHz (10kHz)
• AIR: 118-137MHz

AR1945back• Speaker 5W/4 ohms
• Local/DX antenna switch
• External antenna connection
• Internal full range speaker
• Mains or battery operated
• Dimensions: 310(W) x 195(H) x 100(D)mm

Of course, this radio is most likely available in other parts of the world under different brand names. Let us know if you’ve seen it.

This entry was posted in Manufacturers, News, Radios, Reviews, Shortwave Radio and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to Phil identifies mystery radio as the Digitech Audio AR1945

1. Phil Ireland says:

Hi Thomas,
    Great to see you have set up a page devoted to this radio. I hope a reader will delve into the SSB problem and offer a solution. My feelings are that it could be the BFO injecting too much signal swamping the AGC causing blocking, overload and considerable distortion. I note that with the SSB activated, the sensitivity noticeably drops and you have to turn the volume up considerably to hear anything. I have tested the radio side my side with a Sangean PRD5 on MW and if anything the AR 1945 is more sensitive but that increase in sensitivity is somewhat negated by a corresponding rise in noise. On SW, I pitted the AR 1945 with a Tecsun PL 660 with the AR 1945 totally blowing the Tecsun out of the water in performance. SW was magnificent for a portable radio, great sensitivity and selectivity. I should add that I was using only the telescopic antennas on both. The only advantage the Tecsun showed on some signals was when the synchronous detector was employed. It goes with my earlier wishes that hopefully a way will be found to activate a potential detector in the AR 1945. Am I happy I bought it? Well yes but until the SSB problem is sorted out, the radio is very expensive for what it is. Once all the bugs are sorted, this radio will be a “cracker” and worthy of any collection.
    Cheers….. Phil

• Keith Perron says:

This radio is almost the same at the Grundig S450DXL sold in the US by Radio Shack and distributed by Eton. This radio is made by a subsidiary of Tecsun. You can find this radio in Beijing and Shanghai sold under the Panda brand.

2. Phil Ireland says:

The circuit boards in the Digitech radios are stenciled Redsun which I tend to agree with Keith, is probably a subsidiary of Tecsun. I’m not familiar with which company would be the parent company as there are so many “badge engineered” versions released worldwide. I’m still hoping some tech guru will get their hands on this radio to see if they can sort out SSB and if there is a synch detector. I’m enjoying this radio very much, super sensitive and actually is more fun tuning around the bands than a communication receiver. Its definitely an improvement on the AR 1748 and AR 1747.

3. Phil Ireland says:

I’ve had quite an opportunity to test more of this radio, this time pitting it against two National Panasonic DR22′s (RF2200′s). I tested both MW and SW at various times of the day and evening and I have to say the AR 1945 matched and sometimes surpassed the performance of the Panasonics. Again, I was using the telescopic antennas for SW and the built in ferrite rods for MW. The same is said comparing with my Sony 5900W. None of my Tecsun radios except the Tecsun S2000 (Grundig Satellit 750) come close to matching the performance of this radio. Overall, I’m very pleased with it.

4. Jacky Zhang says:

Hi Phil Ireland,

It’s great to see your detailed comments on AR1945,which was designed and made by us.

I will pass your comments to our engineer to review how to improve SSB performance. In addition,We’d reserved a sync detector in the display of AR1945,which means there will be an upgrade version with sync detector on AR1945 some day. If it is available,it still will be sold via Jaycar in Australia,which is one of sole agent with our radios in Australia and New Zealand.

I want to explain that, we are not a copy,a subsidiary of whatever Tecsun or Redsun, just was made by us definitely.

I’d like to keep in touch all radio lovers or users of our radio from worldwide and we will pay attention to your comments,then we will delve into what problems happened and sort it out.

Please send email to radi...@126.com if any comments or good suggestions on fixing. We all appreciate it so much.

Kind regards

Jacky

• Phil Ireland says:

Hi Jacky,
      Thanks for your comments and I hope you can sort out the SSB problem as when it is fixed, the AR 1945 will be an excellent, hard to beat, portable radio. Please post your solution here so owners can fix their radios.

Cheers….. Phil

5. Phil Ireland says:

Hi Jacky,

Cheers….. Phil

• Jacky Zhang says:

Hi Phil,

Thank you for your reply. We had made some improvements on SSB for 2nd batch shipment,but our engineer will investigate how to make it more and more better for a couple of weeks.

B .rgds

Jacky

• richard says:

Jacky.
        It is now mid November, I very much want to purchase the AR 1945 radio from Jaycar here in Au. The modification being discussed in the forum, will that be a factory mod or something the user can do. If factory mod, any idea when the upgraded AR 1945 will be available.

6. Andrea from Italy says:

Hi Jacky. The 1945 is a very interesting receiver, with LW and the Air band it seems the newest and more compleat portable receiver on the market today, with the Redsun RP 2100 ending his story and the 3100 never seen on the market. If the problems with SSB and a Sync Detector get a solution, I think a lot of enthusiasts want buy 1945. Maybe are scheduled agent here in Europe and USA too?
    Best regards Andrea

• Jacky Zhang says:

Hi Andrea,

Thank you for your interesting AR1945, the current version is only with SSB, no sync detector function,just reserve a sign in the LCD display for upgrade version in the future.

Actually,we had made some improvements on SSB performance from 2nd shipment as a runing change. But we will see how to make it better….

We devoted to design and manufacture good radio with more features for worldwide radio enthusiasts.

If any good suggestions or comments,we all appreciate to share them with you.

B .rgds

Jacky

• Andrea says:

Hi Jackie, thank you for your reply. SSB issues solved, why Sync Detector in the future and not today?
        The two suggestions that I can put in this discussion are 1) take care of QC standards 2) Schedule agents in Europe (and USA).
        Cheers Andrea

7. Phil Ireland says:

Hi Jackie,
    Am very interested in the comments that the SSB mode has been fixed for the next shipment of the radios. Would it be possible to detail the “fix” so those people with the earlier version could upgrade their receivers so to be able to listen to SSB mode properly?
    Cheers….. Phil
    p.s. testing of this radio against the Sangean PR-D5, the Sony ICF-EX5 Mk2 and a National Panasonic DR22 show this radio almost comparable in MW performance, an excellent result!

8. Jacky Zhang says:

Hi Richard,

Actually we already made some improvements since 1st shipment, so the improvement of 2nd shipment already done by our factory,not the user.So you can buy now.

Kind regards

Jackie

• Ron Mills says:

Jacki
      I have one of these AR 1945 digitech radios. problem is it will not switch on (pushing red knob) I got it going last time I used it with a push on the reset button. Tried it again but no show. Any ideas what the problem could be . Given to me at Xmas 2013
      Regards
      Ron Mills

9. Avo Ohanian says:

Hi Jacky,

I am in Australia and have a Jaycar store down the street from where I live. They can not tell me how to distinguish between the 1st shipment and the 2nd shipment in either packaging or codes.

Is there an easy way to tell if a unit is the 2nd shipment?

Regards,
    Avo.

10. Larry H. says:

G’day Jackie, now 8th December and no reply to Avo’s 20th November posting. I also am in Australia with Jaycar store close by and I will buy your AR1945 if you can confirm that there has indeed been an upgrade re SSB and as a buyer how we can identify your “”2nd shipment”” stock…or is it just marketing spin by you and nothing has really been done to upgrade?Many are interested in your reply. Thanks.

11. EugeneV says:

I’be had this radio for a couple of days, but decided to return it to Jaycar. While the sound reproduction quality is superb, it has a number of annoying quirks.Reception on shortwave is very average at best, and even less inspiring on other bands. Overloads easily with anything more then built in whip aerial. Mirror stations on LW and Air band. Tuning knob is way to stiff to operate comfortably and wobbles as you rotate it from the applied pressure. Most annoying though is that sometimes one has to press the buttons several times before it responds…Cheap overall feel… On the positive side-as already mentioned, audio quality is stellar, dual clock, and all the buttons are backlit. All in all-an uninspiring radio. Noticed yesterday Jaycar has a special on it-$149 down from $179. Even so, I wouldn’t bother…

12. John Wall VK2GQK / G3GQK March 1950 says:

Kindly advise if the AR 1945 has been modified regarding the SSB function?. If so how can one tell the difference in the Jaycar store? Has the manual been updated? Is there any indication that a particular model has been modified / updated?
    This information is required BEFORE purchase please.
    Thank you. NOTE COMMENT FROM “LARRY H”

• EugeneV says:

This radio was new for 2013 as I understand it. The store I got mine from told me that they only had one shipment of these(I got them to check their computer). So, chances are it was still an original shipment, provided Jacky Zhang from above even legit. The store had quite a few of these radios, so I don’t see them ordering any more in a hurry, improved or not…On a side note, my little Grundig G3 is a lot more sensitive on the airband then AR1945, and Grundig 750 is noticeably more sensitive then G3 still…

13. Countrytech says:

I decided to get one of these and check, as most info was positive. I am about 80% satisfied, but only after much playing around. I am not an expert in this field, but decided to hang a long wire to check results, as it was no good on ssb with the existing int and ext antennas. The result was much better (using 8176 marine weather), and I was able to tune in to an understandable voice. The sound was much reduced, even with full volume full gain. Tried connecting the wire to the antenna, and was improved on sw but no good on ssb. I purchased this set mainly for sw and ssb, as we intend to travel around Aust next year, so shall try different combinations. Would be great if ssb was better, with less interference noise which makes it unreadable.

14. John VK2 says:

It appears that the Jaycar receiver AR 1945 has now been designated AR 1945 S. Can anyone out there please confirm if this a modified version? I have given questions to the local Jaycar store who stated that they would pass this to Jaycar but as yet no information is forthcoming. There seems to be a complete lack of communication which does not auger well for the future of the AR 1945. I was informed that the reduction in price of $30.00 was only for the Christmas period, but I suspect it was to clear the decks of the first models. Will someone please try and clarify the situation once and for all.

• Larry H says:

I bought mine in December 2013 from Jaycar….no’ S’ designation on mine and they only had 2 for sale..should be ‘BS’ designation IMO..mine has the same weak points already highlighted….where are you Jacky?….you little spin doctor you….

15. Countrytech says:

Perhaps the answer is in his silence.

16. Ralph K says:

Purchased mine from Jaycar on-line store on 18th Dec ’13, delivered 3 days later. Considering time of year I thought that was very good service. Opened box next day and had decided by Mon 23rd to return it, for all the reasons outlined by EugeneV, particularly the very annoying need for button pushing. On Tuesday 24th I took mine to local (Maroochdore, Qld) Jaycar store and explained situation but upon seeing the invoice and noting I had bought it from their on-line store the manager said she could not help me as the tech store was nothing to do with them; they are completely separate. Phoned Jaycar in Sydney and in spite of the time of year was very pleased with the customer service assistance I received. Sorry if I’m rambling a bit here but I found the on-line store very convenient. However if you need to return something purchased from it your local Jaycar store may not accept it.
    Also, I have reason to believe that Jaycar do not import direct but instead buy from Electus Distribributors, who are the importers, based in Rydalmere, NSW. If this is correct maybe we should be directing some enquiries there.
    I took a photo of the serial/model numbers sticker and mine did’nt have an ’S’

17. Avo Ohanian says:

Hi all,

There definitely was 2 shipments of this unit as I queried via an email to Jaycar head office. The second shipment arrived on Oct 3 2013.

Additionally I am quite sure that Electus is Jaycar’s parent company. They are the wholesale branch and Jaycar is the retail. I only think this because the Jaycar head office/warehouse in Rydalmere has both Jaycar and Electus Distributions signage.

As for Jacky/Jackie…. Hmmmm.

Anyways, I was going to bite the bullet and get a PL880 instead but am mighty intrigued by the new Eton Satellit. Damn it looks nice. Gotta say that a nice design can do it for me as much as the performance (in my car’s case significantly more than the performance….).

Avo.

• Larry H says:

Thanks for that update Avo. Were Jaycar able to confirm the second shipment was an upgrade, if we accept Jacky’s “musings”….if they were an upgrade are they marked accordingly?….I bought mine in December 2013 from Jaycar and it is not an upgrade if there ever was one…..I suggest the second shipment was simply additional stock Jaycar, or their distributor/importer, purchased at the ‘right price’ so they could offer at the supposed discount price prior to Xmas…a model I suggest which is going nowhere in sales without an upgrade…to be fair the tone/clarity on FM radio is superb…but a lot of money to pay for a reasonable FM receiver…willing to bet they will be below $100 before long to quit them…I think Jacky is still head down and bum up working on the real totally new, next upgrade model…….or otherwise engaged on China’s new second child policy..!..lol….

18. Avo Ohanian says:

Unfortunately Jaycar staff didn’t much know about the unit at all let alone any upgrade Larry and this is no reflection on the sales staff rather the retail buyers in head office. My local Jaycar has a keen radio enthusiast as a salesman and he got all the information about the radio from these forums just like us….. I must say that it is sad that a distributor peddles a potentially good product with no regard for support either to the client or their sales staff. Nobody knows any details about this radio and head office was not interested in finding out. Seriously, this radio is dead in the water. Even if an update did eventuate the damage (PR wise as a client) is done. At least Jaycar was happy for me to return the unit for a full refund!

I reckon you are correct with the second shipment suring up supplies ahead of Christmas. If there were any upgrades, they were incidental or merely production run variations. I went yesterday to the local and they had two 1945 units left. They are not really interested in ordering any more as it is a “very slow mover”. There was certainly no 1945S units in store nor on the Jaycar website – does such a unit exist?

As for Jacky, I was questionable when consecutive e-mails were signed with different names (Jacky or Jackie). Most people I know spell their name the same. Every time. Evvvvery time. The fact that there has been no response hails louder than promises….. As a well adjusted good boy orthodox atheist, I will refrain from commenting on your final comments…. :-)

19. Phil Ireland says:

Hi all,
    Seems like there certainly are mixed feelings about this radio. I still hold that it was manufactured by Redsun in China. I must be lucky with mine as it’s a good performer apart from the SSB non functionality! I’m surprised no radio technicians have delved into the circuitry to solve the SSB, I have a feeling there’s too much signal injection blocking the AGC but am not qualified to test. I was hoping someone would check it out. I too bought the Tecsun PL880 and I agree with the comments about the Eton Satellit (made by Degen). I feel if the SSB issue can be sorted, the AR1945 will be quite a good radio. As for the S version, I haven’t come across anything written about it.

• Larry H says:

AR-1945 Box states: Distributed by TechBrands by Electus Distribution Pty Ltd. 320 Rydalmere NSW 2116 PH:1300738555…Fax1300738500. Made in China, by Jacky and in small squinty print ‘S’ stands for Sucker!……For a World Band PLL Synthesised Receiver with SSB…it has a passable quality FM reception…..IMO.

• Avo says:

… and the address of Electus happens to be the warehouse site for Jaycar.

I am more critical of the FM reception Larry. The worst FM receiver I have used was in the Icom ICR-20 handheld scanner. The capture ratio was bad and the IF filter assumably very wide. A broadcast transmitter 11 kms away on 101.7 MHz was still being received over a semi-local 42 kms distant 101.3 MHz. Even my 20 buck special is able to distinguish between the 2. Switching to NFM proved that the signal was there (and quite well received too – sensitivity wise) but the selectivity was shocking. Whilst this receiver is not as bad, it does seem to have a tardy rolloff. Sensitivity seems fine though.

Anyway, my local Jaycar has runout (or sent back) their units of 1945s. Awaiting to see if they get any new stock and what the model number states.

20. Bertrand says:

Hi, we all know that….

so, precise question : when does the RedsunRP-3100 really come out ?
    early 2014, midd 2014 or end of 2014 ? or…not at all…
    Years of talking about it, we want facts now….
    Bertrand

21. R.Santhosh Kumar says:

Hi Jacky,
    My brother living in Australia brought this receiver & gifted it to me. Here in Bangalore I am not able to receive any stations on the HAM band with a outdoor antenna. The FM reception is good. I could do some Dxing & receive some distant FM stations ( Stations as far as 350 KM away ). I am dissapointed with the SSB reception. I hope Digitech is working on a solution to this problem.

22. Hi there.I live in Auckland NewZealand.Im a Ham Radio operator.I own the sony SW55 and old National Panasonic DR49 for receiving SSB signals.Im a long standing commited SSB DXer.
    Im wanting to buy the AR1945,because I have a motorhome,go into the hills & out back camping.I want something that can stand up to the elements of nature,rather than takeing the Sony SW55.So I do need a fully portable come receiver,with dedicated SSB.But unfortunitly,even though I havent bought it yet,and I do have a local JayCar shop that stocks them,Im very disapointed to read the reveiws about the SSB circuitry being only it seems a novety,to what looks like a very good SW portable receiver.So what Im asking is when are the manufactures going to greatly improve SSB clearity,by useing a SSB detector circuit,rather than just the BFO,and are Jaycar going to return all their shipment of these AR1945 models for this purpose.Im not concerned with the lack of the sync detector,its the SSB receiption that completes any true SW receiver.Its no use building a good SW receiver,then adding a cheap quality SSB section as a novety,because the only people that should be interested in buying this model would be ones like ourselves as written in the reveiws.NZ has very limited supply of true SW receivers.Dick Smith use to sell them,but not any more.All we have over here is Jaycar,and it took them a long time to even get the stock they have now of SSB receivers.So it goes against them since they are trying to sell a receiver that acturly does not preform how it should,yet their write up on it says the SSB receiption is good for boaties to get the weather etc.
    So please have this receiver sorted,so that future buyers do not waste their hard earned money,only to find it does not work on SSB.Thank you.

• Went to my local Jaycar store today,to check this model out.But because of the store lights,concrete building,I couldnt even pick up local broadcast stations.I asked did they have an outside antenna for customers to check these receivers.The answer was no.They told me that they couldnt understand why these receivers werent selling.Stock had been sitting on the shelves and not moving.I told them that only hobbiests or people who listen to DX SW/SSB would be interested if they knew they were in stock,they arent a everyday radio to other people.They wouldnt let me take it outside the building to try it.
      So with all their hobbiests stock of other gadgets in the store,here are the Digitech 1945 portable receivers,everdently great on FM,broadcast and SW,but very much lacking in good SSB response.Im hopeing the manufacturers are reading our reveiws,because if they want the right people to buy these receivers,they will have to have all the first shipment returned from Jaycar Aus/NZ and do the mods,then resupply Jaycar with a decent receiver,otherwise they just wont sell to the people in the know.Other than that,I did try all the knobs and buttons.The tuning steps,air band,solid feel of the tuning,bass and treble knobs, frequency entering all worked well.It takes larger batteries and feels solid and would probably be good to take into the hills for camping trips etc.So please have this small fault fixed,then I expect there will be a flood of interested buyers at Jaycar.!!

23. EugeneV says:

I have recently sent an email to the Australian distributor commenting on the SSB issues and whether they had any plans to fix the issue or release an updated model… Here is what they said:

“Hi Eugene,

Thank you for your feedback; we have forwarded your e-mail to our Purchasing Dept.

Currently we don’t have any updates regarding upgraded version of this particular model.
    New products will appear on the Jaycar Flyers/Website.

Kind Regards,
    Sandeep Purushan
    Customer Service Representative
    Techbrands by Electus Distribution
    320 Victoria Rd Rydalmere NSW 2116
    Telephone: 1300 738 555 Fax: 1300 738 500
    Email: spur...@techbrands.com    www.techbrands.com”

Everybody feel free to interpret what all this really means…

24. Dan (@corr64) says:

I brought my ar-1945 in Oct & it works well for me. I find SSB works fine by setting step to 1khz steps and tuning until the voice is legible. Can hear HAMS on 40m band from all over the country with just the whip antenna. Excellent battery life too. Still running fine on the same set of batteries I installed in Oct.

25. Peter says:

Hi have had my radio for afew days now and am very pleased with it,as a private pilot love the air band,not often found in this type of radio. Worst point is the skimpy owners manual,can any one tell me how to preset and recall frequencies,as I canot follow the miniscule info in manual. Any help gratefully appreciated. Peter

• EugeneV says:

From memory, tune into station, choose the desired “page” with the dedicated page button, press and hold for a few moments 1-9 button to memorize. To recall, choose the right page, then press briefly 1-9 button to recall. That’s my recollection of the procedure. Hope this helps.

26. Pingback: Where to buy a shortwave radios in New Zealand? | The SWLing Post

27. Avo Ohanian says:

Well, decided to walk into my local Jaycar again yesterday and see if anything has changed with the AR1945 box…… Futile thought.

Mind you, if you look at page 250 (I think but I don’t have the catalogue handy at the moment) in the 2014 Jaycar catalogue – there is a “New for 2014″ all band with DAB+ listed as AR1946. Looks very interesting and it states that RDS is a feature (although it only mentions this in the context of DAB+, I am hoping it is for FM as well). No SSB but LW/MW/SW/FM/DAB+ provides an awful lot to listen to. Now the caveat. Estimated shipment date was listed as April 1 (what a fool I was to believe this!). Yesterday I was told end of September – if it ever arrives!

So, Phil I – am I correct in that you have an S-2000 from gleaning some of your other posts? AV Comm in Sydney had a new shipment in Dec 2013 (actual build date is not known) and I am just wanting a decent largish radio (my Internet radio is great, but very boring). Is it a worthwhile unit to use even with the internal antennas? I mean the analogue signal meter alone is whetting my appetite….

Shame about the AR1945. No response from Jacky/Jackie…..

A.

28. Phil Ireland says:

Hi Avo,
    Yes I have the Tecsun S-2000, actually it is a great radio, audio is very good and I’ve found the sensitivity on most bands excellent. The rotatable ferrite rod antenna is a bit flimsy and scrapes the top of the cabinet slightly but apart from that works well. I can recommend the radio.
    I was hoping by this stage there may have been a “fix” to the SSB issues in the AR 1945. It appears Dan has one that he is satisfied with the SSB performance. We need a tech guru to delve into this radio and come up with a well documented fix to sort it out then it will be a great receiver.
    I’ve found the Tecsun PL390 to be my portable receiver of choice lately, no SSB but in most other ways a great radio. My main DX receiver is the superb Commradio CR-1 SDR. What a beauty! Coupled to a series of amplified loops from PK Loops, one of the best “combo’s” of any listening post I’ve ever used, and there’s been many.I keep my fingers crossed for a solution to be forthcoming for the AR 1945.

• Avo Ohanian says:

Thanks Phil for your feedback on the Tecsun. I too have a PL-390 and love it but since I got the DAB, this has been relegated to the bathroom due to it’s exceptional reception qualities. One more question about the S-2000 if I may, do you connect your S-2000 directly into the GPO via the internal transformer? I am a little concerned about the rating being only 220V……

Incidentally, the Hornsby Jaycar store has three AR1945s still in stock and the price is listed as $149 – although there is no notification of a sale on these. I really think they are trying to clear it out. Additionally, they have a hoard of new stock AR1748s at standard price.

I really don’t need another radio but I want one! The only thing that I am holding out on the S-2000 for is the new Satellit. I really like the inclusion of RDS – although the lack of selectable FM filters puts me off a tad.

On a slightly different note, does anyone know if Tecsun actually built the Satellit 800 for Grundig? If you go to the Tecsun website, they list their premium all singing unit as the HAM-2000, looking remarkably like the 800……

29. barbara withers says:

Hi,
    I have a Digitech ssb AR-1945. The owner’s manual if very brief and hard to follow. I cannot find any information on how to use the Memory Presets.
    Can anyone help?

thanks

30. EugeneV says:

Have you looked 4 posts up?

31. Phil Ireland says:

Hi Avo,
    I only run, as with most of my portable radios, on internal batteries. The only radios I have connected to AC power are my communications receivers. The transformer will probably handle the 240VAC ok but with most of the underrated Chinese transformers, my advice is to never leave any item running unattended as there is always the chance of them overheating, breaking down and catching fire.
    The new Eton/ Grundig Satellit which looks like it still hasn’t been released yet, is a rehash of the Grundig G3/ Degen 1106. The G3′s had a notorious problem with unreliability and QC issues however some of the later series seem ok. I’m lucky with mine, it seems ok, so far!
    You are correct in assuming that Tecsun built the Satellit 800, unfortunately the S-2000/ Satellit 750 didn’t have the features of the 800.
    I’ve been writing reviews of some of the Tecsun/ Grundig radios for the ARDXC newsletter, I can recommend becoming a member of the club.
    Further with the AR1945, it seems that there are no plans to redesign the SSB capabilities of the radio, Jaycar have probably bought a pallet of radios from Redsun in China and until all have been sold, I suspect there will be no upgrades, there is just not the market. I’m sorry Barbara, I don’t bother with the memory functions with my AR1945, I just directly input the frequencies as required. I hope you sort it out tho.

32. CCD says:

I have lost my instruction manual for the AR-1945. Flimsy though it may be, I am not an expert, and need all the help I can get. Would anyone be kind enough to scan and email me a copy of their manual? cda...@ibec.com.au. Thanks

33. james patterson says:

Hi to all SW DXers and SSB dxers.Yes this is James again.With my two comments above concerning the lack of a quaility SSB section in the AR 1945 ,I did go ahead and buy one,only to be very disapointed with the SSB,so I returned it to Jaycar for a full refund.Of course they are only there to sell these radios,they know nothing about them,just like super market check out operaters.So of course they hope that all buyers are dummys and buy them anyway for FM and just plain old SW listening.
    But the SSB mode in any SW radio gives it the iceing on the cake,it makes it a true coms receiver in everyway.Esspeicaly if the radio already has good SW receiption.So anyway,I went and bought myself the Tecsun PL660 radio,and found that the SSB is true to form,very clear and no loss at all to audio volume or RF gain.Only problem with mine,as Ive noted on the Tecsun PL 660 reveiws is a internal “Birdie” or Harmonic sound that creeps up and down the tuned bands.But once frequencies are set into memories,you dont get this.So the PL660 is a keeper.Getting back to the 1945,it too has a very simular lay out to the PL660,with its Air Band and wide and narrow band filtering etc.Yes you can on the 1945 tune down to very small steps to try and clearifiy SSB once tuned to an offical frequency,but alass,it still just doesnt “cut the mustard”.Once set to SSB mode upper or lower,yes you loose all audio,needing to turn volume and RF gain right up to just hear anything,and still you just can not define the speach.I’ll say though that it is there,and needs to be amplified to make it readable.So the manufacture’s have made a huge mistake in the production of this receiver , stateing that it is very good for boaties and Ham radio operaters alike for weather info etc.As one reveiwer stated his is very good on SSB after adding a long antenna.Well I tried all of that,and even though the incoming signal was much stronger,the SSB audio was still very low and almost not readable at all.
    Well there is one thing that I want to try if I do go ahead and buy one again,because lets face it,they are fulled with features such as the choice of either size D or AA batteries,now thats a bonus!!.But I have an old Analoge radio that I dont use now and it has the SSB BFO circuit seperate from the main board.Im thinking about pulling it out and trying to fit it into a 1945 radio.It has a tuning knob very much like a Volume control knob with a switch turning it off and on,so I expect makeing a hole somewhere on the 1945 to have it so as I can tune it.But firstly to buy the radio again,then solder it onto the right place on the circuit board,I know two wires go to positive and negitive to power it up,then one goes near to the SW antenna terminal.So it would be interesting trying that.I did put a small transistor radio next to the 1945 when I had it,and I was able to turn the dail on that,and it clearified SSB no problem with full audio.So Im sure we can find ways of getting arround this unfortunite problem on what looks to be a very fine radio.Thanks for reading.I look forward to any replies.