Many thanks to SWLing Post reader, Jonathan Marks, who has posted a letter by Michael Mason (Acting Director of ABC Radio) to the staff of ABC. Mason’s letter outlines changes to Radio Australia’s external service. His key points:
- Radio Australia will continue to broadcast a 24/7 schedule built on a deeper collaboration with ABC News and ABC Radio and through collaboration with SBS.
- Pacific Beat continues, as do RA’s hourly news bulletins.
- Radio Australia will work with colleagues in ABC Radio and ABC News to identify and deliver a sustainable and engaging English program service that will appeal to our International audiences.
- Language services in Tok Pisin, Khmer and Burmese will be delivered through a mix of reduced original content coupled with translated ABC content and content from SBS. The model for the French language service remains under consideration.
- Asia Pacific and Asia Review will cease production as will the Mornings program.
- Shortwave transmission of RA remains unchanged for the time being.
Read the full letter on Jonathan’s website, Critical Distance.
Follow news about the cuts to Radio Australia by bookmarking the tag: RA Cuts