The Kenwood R-1000: A resurgence in popularity?

Kenwood R-1000 (Source: Universal Radio)

Kenwood R-1000 (Source: Universal Radio)

Many thanks to SWLing Post contributor, Dan Robinson, who writes:

The Kenwood R-1000 has been enjoying a resurgence in popularity over the past few years, fueled in part by a positive re-review of the receiver at http://webpages.charter.net/n9ewo2/news.html

While new condition R-1000s, and you would be surprised how many of them are out there, have gone for $400, few have gone for as much as this one did [$451 US shipped]:

Kenwood-R-1000-eBay

Click here to view on eBay.

My appreciation for this radio has only grown since acquiring it last year. Mine was in like new condition and I had it modified by KIWA to provide multiple selectivity positions.

Click here to search eBay for an R-1000.

Thanks, Dan! I think the R-1000 is a handsome rig and certainly represents everything I love about solid state receivers of the era: simple design, beautiful audio, admirable performance and a proper weighted tuning knob.

Note that if you’re an owner of the R-1000–or any receiver of a similar age–you should set aside a budget for the occasional repair. With regular maintenance, these receivers will give you decades of good DX.

14 thoughts on “The Kenwood R-1000: A resurgence in popularity?

1. Tha Dood

Absolutely, a very fun receiver indeed. I’m still kickin’ myself for getting rid of the one that I had. One way to make it last much longer? Don’t use the internal power supply, as that adds to 3/4 of the heat in it. Run an external 12VDC to this rig and you’ll really make it last. Actually, this goes for pretty much all the Kenwood rigs back then.

2. Mick

I had an R1000 many years ago, wish I had not sold it. Of course modern receivers have many improvements, definite improvements, well I mean, they do don’t they ? !!!

3. Mike Bott

Hope to locate a decent one at the Dayton HamVention next Friday. I did bid on the one pictured above but I wasn’t as serious as those that swooped in at the last seconds. 🙂

4. buzz

Here’s another SWL kicking himself. I sure enjoyed my R-1000 and wish I’d thought of running external DC to it when it developed a power problem.

5. Dale Moore

Great reminder about setting aside service costs in your budget if you care about vintage gear and want to operate it at its potential. I have a gentleman in my area (southern New Hampshire) who is very gifted at all tube gear, but will not touch solid state. So my question to this most worthy forum is: any recommendations of reliable service people or companies that offer repair and maintenance on solid state radios and accessories, ranging from communications receivers like the Drake R8A to portables like the Panasonic RF-2200 and the Sony ICF-SW7600? I and my collection thank you for any leads!

1. Dale Moore

Thank you, Thomas. Vlado seems like just the resource I need. I very much appreciate the reference.

6. Doyle W. Simmons

I recently had the opportunity to purchase a Kenwood R-2000 at a fair price. Having working with it for a few weeks, I came to the conclusion it it will not hold on its own with my Kenwood R-1000. I will continue to try and get more familiar with it. It is going to be a slow process.

7. Julian Stargardt

As I search for a ‘new’ (to me) receiver I very much appreciate websites and blogs like this.

For decades I’ve used a Sony ICF 2001D / 2010 as a MW and SWLing radio in the tropics, both in remote small towns – probably count as “rural” or semi-rural…. and in big cities, e.g. Hong Kong where spurious RF signals are plentiful and the ICF 2010 can still haul in clear signals on its whip antenna or a simple long wire…. however, my 2010 has gone deaf and I’m considering a replacement, the Kenwood / Trio R-1000 is one of those I’m considering, along with the Drake R8 has anyone done comparisons between these receivers?

If so please post a comparison, I’m sure I’m not the only one out their who would like to know what you think of their comparative merits and weaknesses!

With thanks and best regards / 73
    Julian

1. Tha Dood

Although a very fun and simple receiver to use, the Kenwood R-1000 is a very barebones HF receiver. No FM and no memories, (But then again, you can get to where you want to so fast with that receiver I really didn’t miss the lack of a memory function.). The Drake R8 is a fully loaded quality receiver with variable bandwidths, syncro AM, all analog modes for RX’ing, and great RX specs. Not to mention, superior audio quality from the Drake. Not that the R-1000 sounds bad, it does sound nice with a good EXT speaker and headphones. Basically, if these were GM cars, it’s like comparing a 1982 Chevy Celebrity to a 2000 Cadillac Catera. Just my take, but what do you want function-wise in a receiver? Since you are a a more advanced DX’er, you may really enjoy the step-up functions and specs of the Drake. The Kenwood R-1000 would be a great starter receiver for someone, due to its simplicity. (Heck, I miss that one that I had.)

8. Pingback: eBay find: NOS Kenwood R-1000 Receiver | The SWLing Post