“While looking around the internet today, I came across a new DSP shortwave radio called the Sangean ATS 405. The 405 looks a lot like its 404 predecessor except that it includes 3 bandwidths, 148 memories, a squelch control and comes along with some other interesting features.”
The ATS-405 came as very much a (welcome) surprise to me as Sangean hasn’t introduced a new shortwave radio in years. This radio is obviously based on a DSP chip and has three selectable bandwidths–I hope its AGC circuit is well suited for weak DX. I am a little disappointed the ATS-405 doesn’t have a tuning wheel. Still, I hope this will be a winner.
The ATS-405 owner’s manual (download here) lists the following features:
- Full shortwave 14 meter bands
- Five tuning methods-direct frequency access, auto scan, manual tuning, memory recall and rotary tuning
- ATS (Auto Tuning System)-auto scan and preset stations
- Shortwave meter band selection
- 148 station presets
- 2 alarm timers by buzzer and radio
- Real time clock
- Adjustable sleep timer
- Tone control (Music/Normal/News)
- 1 kHz fine tuning
- Squelch function adjusts the receiving threshold and eliminate weak transmissions
- Easy to read LCD display with backlight
- Eco-friendly recharging function with LED indicator
- Stereo/mono switch
I will plan to purchase an ATS-405 in the near future and review it in due time. Please comment with your impressions if you’ve purchased one!
The Sangean ATS-405 is available from the following sellers from $89.00 to 95.00 US:
Many thanks agin, Aaron, for the tip!