The Reciva Internet radio station aggregator is closing down

Many thanks to SWLing Post contributor, John Drake, who notes that Reciva has announced that they are closing down effective January 31, 2021.

Check out the banner on their website:This, of course, is not good news for anyone using a Reciva-based WiFi radio.

Indeed, the WiFi radio landscape has become quite unstable in the past couple of years. Only recently Frontier Silicon/vTuner experienced issues with their database (that was eventually sorted out). WiFi radio manufacturers Pure and Tivoli have been sold to investment firms and users have been displeased with both customer service and issues with their aggregators. TuneIn has also been forced to limit choices for UK users–a decision likely to affect other aggregators. And now Reciva, which was once one of the most popular aggregators on the market, is going to be “withdrawn.”

These are dark days for those who appreciate a dedicated WiFi radio.

102 thoughts on “The Reciva Internet radio station aggregator is closing down

1. Susan LaBarge

I am trying to leave a complaint with the BBB. When I google Qualcomm, it shows that their headquarters are in San Diego, but the options offered by the BBB website are either Qualcomm Inc. in Carlsbad, CA, or Qualcomm Atheros in San Jose. Is either of those the correct one to use for filing a complaint with the BBB?

2. Trace

Not sure if C Crane wants to get into this business, but I’d pay $25 USD a year to have access to a Reciva server. I just hate the notion that a perfectly fine CC WiFi radio is about to get bricked. Sigh….

3. David

Didn’t someone post a “workaround” of putting some jumper links in the “my links” directory that point to a file on a server you control or a computer on your own network.

That file would contain a “forwarding” code…so you could send the link to any source of your choosing.

1. Simon

Yes, see the postings below from “chafporte”. It works like a charm, and I’ve found my radios are working more smoothly than ever before. Am hoping this is the long-term solution.

4. Pingback: Reciva pushes out closing date to April 30, 2021 | The SWLing Post

5. Kim D

I have a couple of Internet Radios that depend on the Reciva database as well. Hrmphhh….
    Cannot fully see what Andreas Bahr is proposing, but I was wandering it it would be possible to set up a local/private mirror of the Reciva database and then tweak the DNS contents in one’s private computer network to direct any contact to the official Reciva (that will be closed down) to the local (mirror) of Reciva instead.
    The SW of my Radios has a function to ‘Get key’ from Reciva. I am not sure if this is needed only if I wanted to use any of the more advanced features of the Reciva site, or even for accessing the database. The problem I see here is that if/when I do a factory reset, the key is lost…
    Any comments would be welcome!

6. Karl J

Notice has now changed… to 30th April.
    Notice: With effect from 30th April 2021 this website will be withdrawn.
    Please refer to your radio manufacturer or supplier.

7. flint

Hello, my dad have an OXX Digital Tube radio and he listens it for every day. The radio has served him perfectly for several years. So we dont understand how the Reciva can easily stops their service for millions of similar people. If at least they offered an alternative… but nothing. Now we can demolish the device, although it works perfectly… Shame on you Reciva!

1. flint

8. Isabella A. Christiansen

I don’t want to give up my WiFi radios of which I use daily. In my world they are brand new even though I purchased them back in 2018. I don’t care if manufactures claim that I need a model from 2020 to work. I spent good money on the one I have, I love it and expect it to work or else Sangean better send me a check for 220 dollars because that is how much I spent on it.

9. Ben Moynihan

Just have the company send me a working radio model. If tat can’t be achieved we need to get on board with a class action law suit.

1. Lucille Cumming

I have two CCRANE WiFi radios in my home, have purchased 7 others as gifts of others. How could CCRANE sell us these knowing, and don’t say they didn’t know, that RECEIVA was going to pull the plug. CCRANE states that it is the software…..I say BOLOGNA!!! These companies KNOW and KNEW but continued to sell the goods to us. I am disabled and cannot afford to buy another radio. Class Action Lawsuit…..YES. I cannot sleep at night and having this radio with my headphones on, helps me to sleep. I will not and cannot believe that CCRANE did not know about all of this. Now I have to tell the people I purchased this radio for, that they are up Shittscreek without a paddle as to a radio now. I am on board for a class action lawsuit for sure. Now CCRANE says to buy the III model in hopes we will be able to use it. There is no way it is a software expiration…….because all they would have to do is UPDATE it!!! We update all the time, our cell phones, our computer, our laptops and you cannot tell us you cannot update your software so we can continue to use the radios we spent our hard earned money on in good FAITH in the companies. SHAME ON YOU, CCRANE AND RECEIVA……..you now stand to lose so much because no one will ever support your companies again after this fiasco.

1. Joseph

From what I understand, the radio manufacturers cannot just provide a software update bc Reciva is not allowing them to do so, so the issue is a legal one. I don’t think a class action lawsuit would do much good. By the time the case is settled out of court, customers would just receive the “crumbs” as far as a monetary settlement. My wife and I bought some furniture from Rooms To Go several years ago and we agreed to be part of a class action lawsuit against tbe company. After the lawyers were paid and the remainder of the $ was divied up for those particpating in the lawsuit, all we received was a measley $7. I imagine that even if there was a class action lawsuit against Reciva and the radio manufacturers, we would receive similar nominal amounts of $ and nowhere near what we paid for the radios, anyway. I feel it would be more advantageous to put the heat on the radio manufactirers and Reciva by threatening them with lawsuits. Even though we wouldn’t stand to receive much of a monetary settlement from such a lawsuit, the companies themselves would have to fork out a lot of $. That might convince them to act and get some type of resolution between Reciva and radio manufacturers accomplished so the/a database of stations could be kept ongoing for customers to use.

10. Metaphor

Has anyone stopped to consider the environmental damage that will be done when tens of millions of obsolete internet radios are discarded allowing electronic parts to enter the environment? Perhaps some pressure should be put on the manufacturers of obsolete internet radios to allow owners to mail them, at the companies, expense, back to the manufacturers so that they can be disposed of in an environmentally sound way, if there even is such a thing. Can you imagine the amount of waste materials that is going to be generated by the disposal of tens of millions of defunct electronic devices?

11. Bill F.

I too just submitted a fraud report through the FTC website. The more people who do so, the better the chances of getting some possible action. I own two Tangent Quattro radios, a Grace tuner, and a Grace radio. I use them virtually every day in different areas of my home. I’m not ready to give them up and accept this. Hardware manufacturers and service providers have responsibilities toward the consumers they take money from.

12. Joseph

I found this a short while ago doing an online search about Reciva going offline. It appears Grace Digital has their own station database of stations that works in conjunction with their newer radios which aren’t affected by the Reciva shutdown. Seems like to me they could integrate this database to work with their earlier radios manufactured between 2010 and 2017, and if it indeed possible, why this wasn’t already done, especially if Grace Radio had been aware the earlier radios they manufactured might be possibly be bricked due to a Reciva shutdown at some point. I signed up for the service just to see what it had contained within it, even though I don’t have a radio to use with what appears to be, Grace’s in-house station database. Once into the account, it is similar to a Reciva acct where you can add stations, add links from either Grace Digital, Shoutcast, or Live365. There is a section to add a radio, but of course, the only ones listed in the drop-down menu are the newer models to select from. Sign up for it if you want to check it out for yourself. I had assumed that the newer models didn’t use any station database at all, other than what was built into the unit itself. Just wondering if there is any technical and/or legal reasons why Grace couldn’t offer this service as a download to work with the older models.

1. Ron F

> Just wondering if there is any technical and/or legal reasons why Grace couldn’t offer this service as a download to work with the older models.

Grace never owned the firmware for those older Reciva-based models; it was written by Nexus/Reciva, later bought by CSR, later bought by Qualcomm. None of them released anything to enable vendors to write/modify their own firmware.

Grace explained back in 2017 that they hadn’t been getting updates for “some time” (probably since late 2015, when Qualcomm bought CSR), and at that point they were about release devices using a different platform. But they still continued selling those unsupportable Reciva-based models…

(The fundamental problem is that people keep buying devices that depend on a third-party being generous enough to keep their old services working despite them generating little/no revenue, then act all surprised and outraged when that third party shuts them down because they’re not profitable…)

1. Joseph

So do you think it’s possible that Reciva might grant legal permission for Grace to allow users of the older Grace models to download an update to the database I mentioned above (or another in-house Grace database) so the older models would continue to function afrer 1/31? Or would that not be technically possible to do so?

2. Lucille Cumming

Grace Digital, Shoutcast, Live 365, Itunes charge a fee for access. What is the point of having a radio you paid through the nose for, then have to pay a separate fee to listen to FREE radio stations? Wasn’t that the purpose of buying the WiFi radio? Absolutely disgusting and unfair to us. We were given no warning as to RECEIVA having their SOFTWARE expire. Come on now, they knew it was going to yet continued to sell us the goods.

1. Joseph

Internet radio is HARDLY free. Someone else is always paying for it. I can attest to that truth, as I operate two internet-based radio stations and I pay all the music licensing and other operating costs out of my own pocket. And trust me…music licensing is not cheap. You cannot expect stations to be there to provide you free programming, especially if you want a commercial-free experience as many internet radio stations provide. If you want such, listeners should have to pay for it. Otherwise, they have no right to complain when stations they listen to go offline or when equipment they use is no longer functional.

1. Susan LaBarge

Andreas, can you come to my house and do this?

In all seriousness, for the average person who doesn’t the technical know-how, this won’t help us and we’re still left holding the bag (with a door stop radio inside it).

2. David Steel

Andreas. Thank you for this. I do a little PHP/MySQL development and so I might dabble with this. I looked at the demo and it appears very simple and clean. The big advantage, of course, is that it is all under our control and not somebody else (apart from the stations themselves providing a feed). To make it really useful, the next development of this would be make it compatible with Google Chromecast so it can feed speakers directly rather than use a mobile phone and Bluetooth with it’s associated compression.

I would need to research this but time isn’t on my side. In the meantime, I will use TuneIn Radio with the Chromecast Audio device to replace my Revo Mondo Reciva-based radio.

I just wanted to say ‘thank you’ for sharing this code.

13. chafporte

Make your Presets modifiable (do it quickly before Reciva closes).

You need a web address you control (your own domain).
    There add a file “preset1.pls” containing:

[playlist]
    numberofentries=1
    File1=http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_radio4fm_mf_p
    Title1=BBC Radio 4
    Length1=-1
    version=2

Go to reciva.com and add it to your streams as preset1.
    On your reciva internet radio go to “my stuff” – “my streams”.
    Select your new stream “preset1”, the radio starts to play.
    Now assign it to your radio as preset 1 (by long pressing button 1 on the remote control).

If you modify the file preset1.pls your radio will play the modified preset !!!!

Do this 10 times as you need 10 preset files for your 10 buttons.

1. Simon Marks

I’m not sure that I understand how you do this at Reciva.com I’m pretty familiar with the site and understand how to create a new stream using the stream’s URL. But how and where do you enter the code that you’ve written? Seems like a fantastic idea but I’m just not sure how you do that on the Reciva site.

Thanks in advance!

1. chafporte

You need a web address you control (your own domain or on your NAS, somewhere reachable via http). There create a file “preset1.pls”.

1. Simon Marks

Understood, and I have a domain so that’s no problem. When you create the .pls file, how do you save it? As a plain text file? Can you literally write it in MS Word or in TextEdit on a Mac and save it as plain text? Or do you require a specific program in which to write the .pls?

Thanks so much…your advice looks like a lifeline.

2. Simon Marks

Think I have no figured it out. But my radio endlessly tells me it’s “Connecting” to “preset1” but never seems to play the station.

1. chafporte

preset1.pls is just a plain text file. Use a text editor (notepad, not microsoft word) Have you pasted the 6 lines exactly as they are here ? (because this is exactly what I am successfully using). Make sure your file is reachable via http (not https). If you can: give your link here (I will test it).

2. Joseph

I understand most of what you’re mentioning, as I am involved in internet-based radio and I regularly create static listen URLs for my stations (with notepad), so I can modify the files when it becomes necessary to change servers. I can see how, too, that by using files could in effect bypass the Reciva menu on the radio and save them to your presets on the radio itself. But wouldn’t even those presets eventually stop working, even if they’re not being accessed from one’s Reciva acct? Wouldn’t those presets have to be stored within the hardware of the radio for them to continue to work?

3. Stefan

Thank you very much, it works well for my old Avox Indio !

I installed lighttpd on the RPi I have and stored the pls files on it.

14. Joseph

The newer internet radios, at least the ones Grace is selling since 2017, do not depend on the Reciva database. They have several music apps already “built in” the radio (Iheart Radio, Amazon Music, Live365, among others). For everything else, you would have to cast/bluetooth the music via a smartphone, tablet, or other mobile device to the radio. So essentially, the newer versions of internet radios are more along the lines of a glorified bluetooth speaker. Internet radio is moving towards a mobile platform, and many people are now just using a smartphone/tablet/mobile device + bluetooth speaker setup to listen to music since it’s a portable experience, unlike most internet radios which work in a fixed location (the only way for older internet radios to be “mobile” is if you unplug them, lug them to another room, and plug the radio back in). Even the newer internet radios which operate in a fixed location are moving towards a voice activated (Alexa/Google) platform and/or music being bluetooth from a mobile device to the unit. People are increasingly using smart speakers as well for listening.

1. Petra Schultheiss

I want to have an internet radio independent from my phone and computer. Regardless though the Reciva database must remain active or the manufactures of radios must offer a full refund.

1. Joseph

A refund is not going to happen, unfortunately. I have two internet radios here at home I purchased in 2009 and 2010. I hardly ever use them anymore, although it would be nice if the reciva database could be assumed by someone else, so I could continue to listen in that manner. Doubtful that would happen, however. At least I got my $ worth out of using the radios. The market is going to dictate what products are produced, and most people today want a wireless, mobile experience when it comes to listening to internet radio. Grace is offering a 35% discount for a radio upgrade, which I applied for, but I have yet to receive. I will probably just opt for a smart speaker instead, bc it will be less expensive. There are other internet radios which work with other station databases (such as vtuner). so you might want to check those out.

15. Jim

First, completely as a lark, I ran the term “Receiva” a couple of days ago, and was shocked to learn that their aggregator is shutting down. I’ve owned 2 C Crane Wi-Fi Internet radios over the years, and both have worked splendidly, so I have no beef with C Crane in all of this. What I have seen with the Receiva aggregator over time is the reduction in stations: IMG college sports was removed, as were other formats/stations worldwide. I’m no expert in the legal and technical issues surrounding Web-based radio; I just love having a desktop device on my nightstand to listen to at 2AM.

So, on to my question: Is there another such device out there that doesn’t rely on Receiva? I’ve combed through this thread for possible information, and I’m still unclear whether that is the case or not, but I would really miss having this type of radio, especially after a decade.

1. rgrcooper@gmail.com

I have my internet radio on my nightstand so I can listen to stuff at 2:00 AM also. I am holding the manufactures responsible because they could do more to keep their customers happy. These radios were expensive. The manufactures need to offer a full refund, patch the radio to a different data base or replace the radio with an equivalent model that will work as advertised.

2. Jose S. Brown

I never heard of Reciva until I purchased a Sangen Radio. In that this radio is so dependent on them to work. ( SMH )

3. Kenn

Jim, Like you I have C. Crane internet radios. Here’s what I got back from C. Crane when I alerted them…

“Thank you for contacting our company. In response to your inquiry, we were not aware that Reciva.com was closing their website beginning January 31st, 2021 until we saw the notice. We know this will affect our CC WiFi Internet Radios that you have purchased and are working on some options to offer you. We will let you know more after we find out more information. Thank you for your patience and understanding.”

16. Davor

Hello,

What if I buy a new Internet radio, say Roberts 94i, will it be revival-dependant or it has another platform? What Internet radio should I consider buying now.? Also, Internet radio is great. Some people say that wi-fi radio has no future, but I beg to differ. I live in a country that doesn’t have DAB and has a very poor radio offer. The only option for me is to have an Internet radio. It enables me to listen to stations and podcasts without having to boot up my tablet or computer and the sound quality, at least on my Roberts radio is superb. Internet radio has future, the problem here is whether big companies would allow connected radios to exist in the future or not. Hopefully, things will get better and people will be able to continue using their radios in the years to come.

17. Marius James

When IHeart and Tune-in started to monetize things, and many stations I loved were streamed in URL clumps making it impossible to stream them on a single URL, I knew we were in trouble. The wifi radios need to have a feature where you could enter the exact URL and not be dependent upon Reciva or Nuvola-Frontier. I have a REVO superconnect that was pretty expensive, and I suspect that it’s a matter of time until it becomes a paperweight. My Sangean stereo wifi radio will now be a paperweight. I guess it was a mistake to buy these radios. Get a cheap laptop or use a small tablet or phone to listen. Seems IHeart and Tune-In have won the war.

1. Frederick

I’ve bought a WR-336N from Ocean Digital to replace my CCrane CCWIFI and unlike my former radio you have direct access to the device via the IP address from any web browser connected to your local network…So even if Skytune goes down one day, you’ll still be able to update your list and your radio will have up to 100 channels that you can still use from your favorites.

18. Patrick Chaloupka

CCrane is a nasty little company that sold me a radio with Reciva chips in it that spy on listening habbits. now they will crash the radio after I spent a few hundred dollers on it. The radio will set in the shed for now on.

19. Wiktor Göransson

You need to be aware of Reciva.com. They manufacture computer chips that have been placed in Sangean products.   Soon Reciva plans on pulling the “kill switch” on several wifi radios that Sangean and others companies have manufactured.  These radios were expensive to purchase, usually in the $300.00 dollar price range.  They will become deactivated January 31st 2021.  This is all designed for a company to sell a newer model and make more money off of the masses.  Beware of Sangean USA and Reciva.com

20. Mason Lyons

This issue is absolutely disgusting me. I have not been able to get any sleep because of all the due stress this has caused.

21. Edward J. Rivera

Pandora has stopped working for me as well it is part of the shutdown. As mentioned by others, I also urge you to report the manufacture of radio you have and Reciva.com to the FTC. It is highly frowned upon and illegal for a company to artificially pull the “kill switch” on electronics that have been purchased.

22. Stephen Coates-White

My Pandora feed stopped working on my legacy Grace Digital device, although I am still able to access presumably Reciva based internet stations. Is the Pandora feed dependent on the Reciva network, or is it generally expected that Pandora would continue to function beyond Reciva’s full shutdown?

23. Roger Cooper

As an end user, It doesn’t really matter. In regards to “tokens” or other internet stuff.  All that matters is that I follow the user directions that came with the radio.  AS long as it is correct on my end.  The unit will work.  Anything wrong with a distant server or other provider is not my problem.  It is your problem and I expect satisfaction.   This denial of service is unacceptable, I am filing with the FTC.

24. Yvonne Ackerson

This denial of service is unacceptable, I am filing against Reciva, Sangean, C Crane and Grace Digital as well.

25. Cindy Picard

I am on the FTC web site now, I am filing against Reciva, Sangean, C Crane and Grace Digital . I will the the Consumer report magazine know as well.

26. Steve Sybesma

The solution would be for all the manufacturers of Reciva-based radios (possibly upwards of half a billion worldwide considering many people like me have more than one) to get together (as a consortium) and simply buy the server/database from Qualcomm so the service can continue. I replied to C. Crane with that suggestion after they sent me this just TONIGHT (Sunday, November 29th 2020)…also I’m waiting for a reply from Grace Digital and will make the same suggestion to them.

Dear Steve,
    Thank you for contacting our company.
    In response to your inquiry, we were not aware that Reciva.com was closing their website beginning January 31st, 2021 until we saw the notice. We know this will affect our CC WiFi Internet Radios that you have purchased and are working on some options to offer you. We have added you to our contact list and will let you know more after we find out more information.
    Thank you for your patience and understanding.
    If we can be of further assistance please email or call our toll free number.
    Cordially,
    Jennifer B.
    Customer Support Specialist

27. Rob de Santos

Please see the thread here… now over 90 messages on this topic. I suggested some alternatives to saving the database, etc.:

(Note: registration at the Iradioforum is currently by recommendation only due to spammers. You would need to contact me directly. Commhorizons at the email place run by Google…)

I doubt the FCC or FTC will do anything. If you want to save your radio it will require action by end users in a coordinated way and it won’t be easy.

28. Marvin

Thank you Susan, we need more people like you willing to file a complaint. I spent good hard earned money on this Sangean radio and by damn it’s going to work. 3 year old equipment in my book is not “legacy” equipment. I have a Pioneer stereo system, it is 50 years old and still sounds incredible.

I suggest that everyone report the reciva data base shutdown to the FTC. Also you should make Consumer Reports magazine aware of it too.

Email: tips@cro.consumer.org

Postal mail: You can send an anonymous letter or package to CR by mailing it to:
    ATTN: CR News Tips
    Consumer Reports
    101 Truman Avenue, Yonkers, NY 10703

29. Steve Sybesma

I fear this is the beginning of the end of decentralized wifi radio. This is a big blow to freedom.
    From now on, we’re not going to be allowed to listen to anything large corporations don’t want us to hear.
    I’m dead set against this huge loss to the world community of wifi listeners.
    Someone has to take over Reciva and save it for the sake of freedom.

The internet is going in this same direction too, I fear. Censorship is growing and excuses for it are being invented all the time.

We are living in a world where censorship will become the rule if we allow it. We must all fight this.

1. Ron F

> “I fear this is the beginning of the end of decentralized wifi radio.”

You mean *centralized* – Reciva was never ‘decentralized’; Reciva-based devices already had to phone home to the Reciva central mothership to receive the master list of approved ‘internet radio’ souces. That’s why they’ll stop working when it shuts down.

“Decentralised” would be devices that supported multiple aggregation/indexing services, or allowed you to enter your own links. Like streaming devices used to, back in the days when they first started becoming available…

> “Someone has to take over Reciva and save it for the sake of freedom.”

Lol. Reciva was never ‘free as in freedom” – it was developed by (IIRC) Nexus, who designed hardware streaming modules; Reciva was their in-house aggregator service. It was later spun out as a separate company, then pivoted to a software-only service in a mostly-failed attempt to get other hardware manufacturers onboard. It was then taken over by Cambridge Silicon Radio to be *their* in-house aggregator; and eventually CSR was taken over and Reciva ended up at Qualcomm’s as part of *their* in-house streaming aggregator service (alongside all the other similar services they’d collected e.g. Pandora).

If you want “freedom”, you’re looking in the wrong place. Lean on the *hardware* manufacturers to open up their modules/devices to multiple aggregation providers and user-defined streaming sources.

1. Steve Sybesma

Whatever…I value Reciva far more than any other aggregator and I view them as having had the most flexibility in adding new streams. They have the most independent stations and small company stations of any other aggregator.

Have you tried adding streams with another aggregator? Reciva was the best at adding streams upon request and they have the most streams as a consequence.

Other aggregators like iHeart only added stations owned by their corporation and shut the rest out.

When I say it’s more ‘free’, that is what I meant. Besides that RECIVA NEVER INCLUDED THEIR OWN ADS as TuneIn does. Of course being able to add your own streaming sources would be better, but I see aggregators as still being needed for most people.

2. Sal

Steve. Yes, we are more controlled now than ever by the Government, big business and the mainstream media. They control people by limiting access to anything but their propaganda.

1. Susan L.

Thank you for providing the link to the FTC, Roger. I filed a report and related that I have two radios (Grace Audio and C. Crane) which will become expensive doorstops once Reciva shuts down. I’m not computer savvy enough to know if they will have any use to me after that; I’ll just have to wait and see. But there should be some protection for the American consumer who can’t afford to buy the latest device just because a company wants to abandon an older technology. When American TV broadcasting went digital, the federal government provided subsidies to consumers who needed adapters for their older TVs. But in this case, guess radios are just too old school and of little significant during our national quarantine. Thanks to everyone who has posted on this site and helps me stay informed.

1. Steve Sybesma

I sent my complaint to the FTC, hopefully if they see multiple complaints that will mean something more to them than a single complaint. I would say the best solution is for the group of companies who manufactured Reciva radios (and were probably still manufacturing this year) to get together and buy the server and database from Qualcomm. The Reciva database was the most superior of them all and adding stations was extremely easy and there were no commercials (like with TuneIn). Nobody was better than Reciva. I interpret that ease of adding stations and lack of added commercials as being more ‘free’ (meaning ‘freedom’) than any other aggregator.

30. KEGR Steve

I have a C Crane Wi Fi Radio. Besides having reciva stations, I also see iheartRadio and Radio.com shortcuts in their too. I wonder if those stations will still be there after the cutoff date? I wonder. I also have a feeling that if you save a station in the presets, it still may work after the website turnoff time. That is until the station makes a change on their server config.

1. Thomas Post author

I assume iHeart radio would continue working. Possibly the shortcuts, too, for a while. Not sure how/when the radio queries the network.

31. NewsView

Receiva should post a press release explaining why they have hung their patrons and associated hardware providers out to dry. They should make a good-faith effort to have another party take over. To have failed to do so suggests that they fell under pressure from iHeart or others not to carry their feeds (iHeart, TuneIn and others may prefer that consumers be tied to the apps where they can be subjected to ads, repeated requests to login etc. — something that didn’t happen on a configured Receiva device.) The other thing that comes to mind is that there are many feeds available through this platform that are considered unacceptable on social media platforms. So I wouldn’t be surprised if Receiva has been under pressure to drop their service because, unlike social media companies, they did not do enough to go along with the de-platforming efforts to knock certain people offline entirely (i.e. Alex Jones). It wouldn’t occur to me to question any of this if Receiva would post a proper press release, but absent that one can only imagine that there was no good way to “explain” themselves — so they’re not.

Years ago I became a fan of two network TV shows, only for those TV series to be cancelled by the end of the first season. That was the LAST TIME I ever “bought in” to any TV series (similarly, I almost never watch any “series” on Netflix — twice burned was enough). This news — that my WiFi radios are about to become paperweights — may very well make me equally skeptical of any new consumer products and gadgets that may come to market. (No more “early adopter” for me!) And as others have noted, the other major problem with Receiva’s lack of communication is that it turns WiFi radios into e-waste overnight!

My guess is that people in the “industry” assume that there is no real demand for WiFi radios — but to my mind, that is a failure of their imagination. One can program a WiFi radio to come on like a conventional radio at the press of a button. Unlike a tablet, smartphone or streaming TV, there is no scrolling, no tapping and no connecting of a charging cable or stand-alone bluetooth speaker required.

Sleep experts advise people to keep their digital devices, such as phones, tablets and LCD TV screens out of their bedrooms because of the blue light they emit, which disrupts normal sleep/wake cycles. For anyone who has been trying to avoid streaming via a smartphone, ROKU or or similar device in order to gain access to Pandora, iHeart or similar apps, losing the option to have a table top WiFi radio is a blow.

To those “investors” and executives who think they know what consumers want — a one-size-fits-all “app for that”: Must everything involve staring at a bright screen, accepting a TOS, scrolling, tapping, clicking, swiping and entering logins for every single individual app? Turning to our smart devices may seem like less “work” but that’s only because we’ve been conditioned to think that having a device wielded to our hands is “normal”. The beauty of radio as it was originally delivered — over the air to a physical unit in our homes — is that it was just there. You didn’t have to program anything, login to anything, subscribe to anything. Press power and whatever frequency you last used was just there. The more we try to improve our lives with “smart technology” the more we pile on unnecessary complexity. True, WIFI radios take some doing to set up — but it’s a one-time effort after which these devices function like a traditional radio. A tablet, AppleTV or smartphone will never duplicate “one touch” simplicity.

I don’t know who pulled the plug on this platform without finding anyone to take over the service, but whomever that bonehead is needs to appreciate the axiom: “the consumer is always right”. If consumers want choices that aren’t dependent on “apps” and the blue-light emitting devices they rely upon, they should HAVE that choice!

1. Greg

Reciva was sold many years ago so it’s not a company anymore. CSR the biggest manufacturers of Bluetooth chips bought them then qualcomm bought csr a couple years ago.

32. Simakuutio

I’m a happy long time owner of Tangent Quattro WiFi radio and I’m very unhappy with this decicion… naturally I have been kinda waiting for this to happen eventually but I don’t like the end result (my radio becomes a useless brick on my desk).

33. Pingback: Grace Digital Internet Radios made between 2007 and 2017 will stop working | The SWLing Post

34. Lawrence Sabine

Yes, this was very distressing. I have just got my Reciva based radios working the way I like them, replacing the WiFi with USB ethernet adapters and bringing out the audio to RCA plug cables. Fortunately, I was trying to figure out what to do with my Raspberry Pi and found something called MusicBox that takes manual station input or finds stations on several sources which are not Reciva or Squeezebox, so I am ready for the end. What the earlier post said about QRM is so right – I have given up DX’ing entirely because I am tired of the racket.

35. Padraig Cotter

Unfortunately conventional analog broadcasting is winding up in Europe, the latest nation to be turning off teristial on air broadcasting is Sweden next month and many more are heading the same direction, especially now with 5G speeds and car manufactures here in Europe are installing streaming live radios and without any breakages in transmission due to super speeds 5G. Also commercial radio transmitter manufacture over at this side of the globe believe many of this type of conventional systems will be coming to a close in the next 4-5 years at best. Nothing really stays forever, just like compact discs have been replaced with download albums and files .

1. LYNND

I live in the most highly populated county in the entire United States — and there are large portions and entire communities without adequate cell service, let alone 5G coverage. One-size-fits-all only works for uninformed technocrats who assume that what is available locally is accessible elsewhere. There are always places where neither old nor new technology/services can be obtained, be it radio, cell phone or even wireless access. The more we whittle away on the types of communications available, the more we promise to leave people in the dark. Technology should be an additive process. Instead it has become a self-cannibalizing process. Our Digital Overlords are committing the “all eggs in one basket” mistake.

36. Rob L

Wow, my Grace Mondo never saw enough use and now it’s a $150 doorstop. At least I can still watch VHS tapes on my old crt TV’s. Next to go will be analog AM radio I suppose. Technology has a way of making me feel old.

37. Zack S

I wrote to Grace Digital https://gracedigital.com/ today, 11/2/2020 asking about the Reciva shutdown and here is their reply;

“Your presets will work until the URLS for the streams become outdated. Not all radios will be turned off at the same time. The Mondo will be in the last group to be terminated. The software is Reciva dependent, you can get all the details we have here:

Grace Digital Internet Radios manufactured between 2007 and 2017 will stop working. The internet radio station finding service used by our legacy internet radios is being discontinued by the 3rd party service provider. This will affect Grace Digital internet radios manufactured between the years of 2007 and 2017 including the original Mondo.

(Please note; the Mondo Plus, Mondo Classic, and Mondo Elite are not affected).

The managed shut down will begin on November 4th, 2020 and will be completed by May 21st, 2021. Anticipating the eventual shut down, Grace Digital has already developed a faster and more feature rich internet radio platform. Radios developed after 2017 are on the new platform and will not be affected. The models that are not affected start with model number ‘GDI-WH’ otherwise known as:

• Mondo plus / Mondo plus classic /Mondo elite / Mondo elite Classic
    • Encore plus
    • Grace Link / Grace Link Amp

The new Grace Digital platform features quad core microprocessors, over double the available radio stations, NPR, FOX news, BBC, CBS radio, Chromecast audio built in, and music services such as Amazon Music, SiriusXM and Bluetooth streaming. These new internet radios do not use a 3rd party server network to operate).

If you have a legacy internet radio, to help with the transition, Grace Digital will offer special one time discounts to effected customers. If you are interested in taking advantage of this offer, please press the following button and provide key information to our customer service team.”

I did fill out the upgrade form but have not received a price yet.

1. Barbara Harris

Graces newer radios don’t use a third party to capture stations, but what if Grace itself goes out of business? Wouldn’t you lose the functionality of your radio in that case?

38. John Drake

As we all know, there has been a huge increase in the amount of RF interference in the last few years. This interference can come from many sources, including:

– Wi-Fi signals
    – AC power adapters
    – CFL (compact fluorescent) light bulbs
    – Light switch dimmers

I have a couple of elderly relatives who depend on AM radio for news and entertainment. There is now so much RF interference in their homes that they can barely hear the announcers over the static.

A compact, easy-to-use Internet radio is ideal for this situation. I saved their favorite AM radio streams to the large buttons on the front panel of the radio. They now enjoy listening to static-free AM radio news and entertainment on their Grace Digital Internet radios.

39. Pingback: The Reciva Internet radio station aggregator is closing down – dxradio.de

40. Zack S

We have a Grace Radio Mondo in our kitchen and use it a lot everyday. I wrote to them today and asked if Reciva will be replaced with something else like Vtuner. Will let you know what they say.

1. Greg

It cannot be replaced. The old Grace radios use the reciva platform designed 15 years ago. The reciva platform controls the old Grace radios, so changing the database would be irrelevant. With the exception of the presets other functions Require the sever to be up.

The new Grace radio platform does no require a server platform to operate so no 3rd party provider is required .

41. Mike S

Expressing what’s probably a minority view here, but here goes (and speaking as a long time owner of a Logitech Squeezebox).

In recent years I’ve increasingly questioned the market need for an internet radio _device_ in the form factor of a traditional radio.

True these radio-like boxes offer convenience, portability and ease of use, but having that type of usefulness dependent on an aggregator service. Their very existence is tenuous because they make almost no income for providing the service and are constantly the targets of fights, lawsuits, and restrictions posed by local, national, and international laws.

Numerous other “connected” devices (PCs, phones, tablets, “smart” TV devices, even newer car sound systems) can stream radio content from the Internet, and are far friendlier when it comes to contingencies when the existing arrangement fails for one of the reasons listed above.

I think it was good when it lasted, but more and more we’re beating a dead horse on a nich market within a nich market which is now in its death throes.

1. Thomas Post author

I don’t disagree with you, Mike.

In fact, in the past two years, my opinion has changed quite a bit. I still like having an Internet “Device” like a WiFi radio. In my world, it makes something I enjoy doing (tuning internet stations) easy, simple and portable. With that said, I’m no longer willing to invest much money in an Internet radio because I know that any day it could become a cool looking door stop or paper weight if the aggregator disappears.

Many radios allow for manual entry of stations and that’s great. But honestly, that takes away from the convenience factor of a WiFi radio.

I’m not sure where things are going, but I would guess WiFi radio is becoming more the domain of smart speakers.

-Thomas

1. NewsView

On a conventional radio, the use is straightforward: Hit “Power”, “preset” (or last-used frequency) and volume: 2-3 steps.

Oftentimes, even though a smart device is handy, there are many more steps actually involved — not to mention that the app developer has access to everything we do both inside (and often outside) the app thanks to the TOS that most users do not read. Is Of course there will be a preference for replacing technologies that collect less data about their users with those that do. No matter how much privacy we consumers lose in the process, we’re all too happy to go along. Maybe we should begin to differentiate between what is simpler to use (fewer steps) vs. what is more lucrative for those who are selling our data if not also overseeing, increasingly, who has a “right” to voice their opinions on their platforms (or risk being de-platformed). App-based solutions offer a certain level of convenience but not necessarily because they are better — as anyone who must keep track of dozens of logins, if not also re-occuring subscription costs, can attest to. Smart technologies became attractive to “cord cutters” but, increasingly, they aren’t even “free” — even as they take more interest in policing our speech/use and even as they continue to profit from selling our data. Is that “progress”? Perhaps not.

42. Ivan NO2CW

It may be a good idea to have a public open aggregator that can easily be incorporated into a radio. My Sangean still works well, sometime I browse the collection of english speaking stations I put together and sideloaded into it. It also seems to have an over the air update feature which i hope would allow Sangean to switch the provider remotely.

43. Mario

I had the C Crane and Sangean WiFi radios when they first came out and enjoyed Internet radio, it was a way of listening to stations across the globe and the service was free. This was very exciting back then using new technology. I surmise that the popularity of the Smartphone and the use of streaming has been the one of the reasons for Reciva closing its doors. It was fun while it lasted but time and technology march on.

I can see the same effect of new technology on satellite radio; my XYL used to pay $260/yr for the service back in 2012, but dropped the service a year ago and now uses her Smartphone to listen to music in the car. Back then (2012) many new cars were equipped with a complimentary three months of satellite radio service. Wonder if that still continues?

Thanks for posting Thomas and long live analog AM broadcast radio!

1. rtc

Not surprised…a sad thing.
      Asked C.Crane about this a few weeks ago and they said Receiva would continue “as far
      as they know”.
      Plan B:
      You can still stream a station directly without a “middleman”.
      Anything will work,an old smartphone ,computer,tablet (have a Kindle ready to roll).
      The Greed of these people will come back to bite them.

2. marc coevoet

Faulty by design, this kind of hardware… If the manufacteror would open his hardware, radios could be made to work on other platform(s). So, op hardware/software or the trashbin? And how fast you wanna trash? Trash the dividend!

3. NewsView

There is still a place for satellite radio — and I would think, likewise, that satellite phones will eventually overtake cellular-tower based distribution (prices will eventually fall for satellite phones, too). 5G will not roll out everywhere and there are geographic areas (i.e. mountains) where conventional radio signals, let alone cell service of any kind, are unreliable — over large areas of the country. If one never leaves a metro area, one will not appreciate how uneven the cellular rollout was even for 4G service in the U.S. was. If 4G was spotty, 5G — which has less reach — will be even worse even at its best.