The C.Crane CC Wifi

In November 2020, we learned that the Reciva radio station aggregator would be closing down permanently which would effectively render a large portion of WiFi radios on the market useless. This closure will affect a number of WiFi radio manufacturers, but two of the most notable are Grace Digital and C.Crane. I own one of each.

The Grace Digital Mondo

The comments section of my original post about the Reciva closure became the default discussion group for Reciva device owners who were trying to sort out options to keep their devices functional. That article (at time of posting) has nearly 200 comments alone.

There have been some very productive discussions about circumventing the Reciva aggregator before the announced closure on April 30, 2021. Since this information is buried in such a deep comment thread, I wanted to give it better visibility and search-ability by creating a dedicated post on this topic.

Ray Robinson, one of the contributors who has been actively helping owners, has very kindly written up a tutorial for us here and I’m most grateful.

Ray’s Guide to setting up your own “Reciva” WiFi webserver

Ray writes:

[T]he bad news is that Qualcom is shutting down the Reciva website on April 30th, and any Reciva-based Internet radios will no longer be able to tune stations from that aggregator after the shutdown.

The sort-of good news is that if you have a station link stored in a preset on your Internet radio, the preset should continue to work after April 30th, until such time in the future as the station needs to change the link for their webstream.

Because, the other part of the bad news is that most Internet radios don’t have any way of directly inputting or modifying a webstream, or storing a webstream manually in a preset. So, after April 30th, you would lose any ability to change or update any of the presets.

That’s where my work-around comes in. Internet radios do have the in-built ability to address and pull data from a webserver – that’s how they use the Reciva site in the first place. So what I have done is point my radio (a CCWiFi) to a ‘web server’ on my local network instead. This solution uses a Windows PC; there may be a comparable solution using a Mac or a Linux box, but I’m not familiar with either of those.

First, make sure the PC you are going to use is visible to other PC’s and devices on your local network (‘Network Discovery’ turned on, file sharing enabled, etc.).
Second, I recommend you give the PC a reserved internal IP address in your router. If you leave it with IP being assigned by DHCP, its IP address could change anytime it is rebooted, and then your wi-fi radio won’t be able to find it for the presets. In my router, I assigned 192.168.1.1-200 for DHCP, and then gave my PC the reserved address of 192.168.1.201, which ensures it always has that same address.

Third, enable IIS (Microsoft’s ‘Internet Information Services’) in Windows. This will create a local web server on the machine. In Control, Panel, go to Programs / Turn Windows features on or off. Click the box next to Internet Information Services and OK, and let Windows install that component.

We are going to store our station webstream links on the PC in playlist files, which have the file extension of .pls. But first we have to tell IIS what to do with a .pls file, as it doesn’t know by default. (.m3u files will work as well, but I did it with .pls files, so I’ll detail how to use those.) We do this by adding a MIME type. Click the Windows start button, and search for IIS. The top result will be Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager. Click that. In the center of the panel that opens, click MIME Types and then ‘Open Feature’ at the top on the right. This will show you all the extensions IIS knows about. If you scroll down, you will see there isn’t one for .pls. So, we need to create it. At top right, click Add… In the panel that opens, enter a File name extension of .pls and a MIME type of application/pls+xml Then click OK and exit IIS.

If you now look in the root of the C: drive, you will see there is a folder called inetpub, with a subfolder called wwwroot. This is where we want to store the presets.

My CCWiFi has 99 presets, so I have put 99 files in this subfolder, named from Preset01.pls to Preset99.pls.

As an example, my first preset, Preset01.pls, is for Caroline Flashback. To create the .pls, open Notepad, and copy and paste the following:

[playlist]
NumberOfEntries=1
File1=http://sc2.radiocaroline.net:10558
Title1=Caroline Flashback
Length1=-1

Save the file, but change its extension from .txt to .pls.

Then, in Reciva, I need to store the entry in My Streams that will tell the CCWiFi to come and look at that file to know what to play. On the Reciva site in My Streams, I created a stream titled ’01 Caroline Flashback’ with a stream address of ‘http://192.168.1.201:80/Preset01.pls’ Remember, my PC has a reserved address of 201. If you use something different, then you will need to change the stream address accordingly.

Then, on the CCWiFi, go to My Stuff / MyStreams and select ’01 Caroline Flashback’. Reciva is telling the CCWiFi to go to my PC and look at the contents of Preset01.pls. This it does, and starts playing the stream. Then, it’s just a matter of storing that playing stream in preset 1 on the radio.

With that done, at any time in the future if I decide to change the contents of that .pls file, I can just store the details of any other station/stream, and the radio will play that instead without any reference back to Reciva.

I recommend you do that for all available presets on your Internet radio whether you are using them or not, even if they only contain duplicate entries for now, because that way you will maintain access to be able to use those presets in the future. And, you must do this before April 30th, when the Reciva site will shut down.

Actually obtaining the URL of a station’s webstream can be difficult; some stations are very helpful and provide them all on their website, while others seem to do their best to hide them. However, here in Los Angeles, I have found the webstream URL’s of all of our local AM and FM stations, plus the webstream URL’s of all North American SW stations, and all the UK stations as well (both BBC and commercial). I’d be happy to advise on that also, but it’s probably beyond the scope of this particular tutorial!

Thank you so much Ray, for taking the time to write up this tutorial.

If anyone is familiar with how to set up a similar webserver on MacOS or Linux, feel free to comment with details.

By the way Post readers: if the name Ray Robinson sounds familiar, it’s because he’s a weekly contributor to AWR Wavescan, and also a presenter on Radio Caroline Flashback!

27 thoughts on “How to give your Reciva WiFi radio a second life before the service closes on April 30, 2021

1. J J

CHAPEAU, Paul (T.)!!! As you can see (below) my ‘memories’ are almost 50% in French (All 1-12)
    I now have my two favorite ones on that ‘left side’, Preset01.pls & 02 working great thanks to you. LISTENING TO CHANTE FRANCE ‘this way’ on my family room IRDT200 as I write this reply, cool! I moved the ‘Nostalgie’ one to ’02’. I’ve been around NJR radio many times, didn’t think about it. Would you be so nice as to give me if possible a (NRJ or other) link where I can probably find the rest, from 03 to 12?! NO HURRY, whenever you have time. I won’t ask you for all those remaining station streams, out of consideration, he he!!! Are you also doing something similar with your G.D.? I think it’s the best partial (key word!) solution given the circumstances. Simple Reciva presets might work for a long (or short in some cases?) while but this way at least you’ll probably secure access to your (varying at times?) favs without any additional expense, like having to replace these things. I don’t feel it’s worth it the way it’s going all over. I say this because last year I lost all ‘outside’ (Internet) use of two Philips NP1100 (please check the Web if you are not familiar with the model), I now use them as a UPnP music server from our, mainly, two family desktop PCs…no more Pandora, Radio, Favs…nothing else.

I had found this other “Classic Rock Planet HD” stream last night, after ‘requesting it’. Two is better than none! I’ll keep it of course, just in case. http://192.99.35.215:5098/stream

GDI IRDT200 Internet Radio Presets
    01 Nostalgie Chansons Françaises 13 Tropicalísima del Ayer
    02 Nostalgie Les Plus Grands Tubes 14 1.FM Éxitos del Ayer
    03 Nostalgie Best of 60’s 15 Beatles Radio
    04 Nostalgie Best of 70’s 16 All ‘60s All The Time
    05 France Info 17 Oldies But Goldies DE
    06 France Inter 18 Antenne Rock Softrock DE
    07 RFI Monde 19 San Francisco’s 70s Hits
    08 RTL France 20 1.FM Classic Rock Replay
    09 France Bleu Périgord 21 European Klassik Rock
    10 RTBF La Première 22 Classic Rock Planet HD
    11 RTS La Première 23 4U Classic Rock
    12 CBF-FM 95.1 – 1ère Chaîne 24 4U 80s
    25 4U 70s

THANKS – GRACIAS – MERCI BIEN !

J a s o n

2. J J

Hello (and THANKS!) Ray et al.

I followed your instructions and was able to reprogram “My Stuff” / “My Streams” in my three Grace Digital IRDT-200’s. My slightly different decision was to just name each of them ‘by their numbers’, which is 01-25 in the case of that radio-player model. Actually I renamed them ‘0 1’, ‘0 2’…’2 5’, with a space in between, ‘my personal taste of it’. It could be “Preset 01” (or even “Preset 1” IN THE RECIVA SIDE only I mean; or similarly). This way, when and if I change a station stream in the PC along the road, I should be perfectly fine on the radio side, there is nothing you can do after the aggregator goes down at the end of April. Of course, I had to ‘go back in time’ and compose a simple 1-page doc in Word, 2 columns, 1-12 stations with their nice names (needless to say!) on the left and 13-25 to the right in my case –again, that’s the max # of stations / streams that I can ‘memorize’ with my 200’s. There is absolutely no need to do ANYTHING if you don’t want in your PC until you later collect the URL (stream info for the “Preset##.pls” line) for whatever number of presets your radio models have. You just need as a minimum, before 04/30/21 (I would strongly advice you not to wait ’til the last minute to do this!), to set THE RECIVA SIDE of the equation. Before doing ANYTHING in my computer, I set “My Streams” 1-25 by just naming them as previously explained “0 1” to “2 5” and adding of course the IP ‘global’ data for each, http://192.168.1.222:80/Preset##.pls (my PC’s STATIC IP is 222…vs 201 Ray’s), and then just ‘presetting’ them, one by one, no remote needed, all by hand. Ray is the man, I’m just adding my little personal experience here. Anyway, now you should be all set after the 04/30 ‘demise’, etc. I actually have presets 13-25 all ready (my native Spanish & Jazz/Oldies/Rock selections), I just have to figure out the French streams I’d like to also be able to access with my semi-defunct G.D. radio, not bad for one day of exploration and decisions about how to go around this.

3. J J

Able to download (down arrow after ‘play’ symbol on front of each station) and make work several (rock & jazz…for the time being) Shoutcast stations in .pls format. You just have to change the name to “Preset##.pls” then do the Reciva part, cool! Thanks again Ray. Little by little. I just need the .pls for my ? 10 stations in French! (1 from French Canada, 1 from Belgium and another from Switzerland). I have until 04/29 late to figure it out now. I might have to be flexible otherwise, forget about some of these, and add whatever I like that’s available. Also, as long as you set your max # of Presets like this, remember, you can then change them at any time in the future. As Ray pointed out…even repeated ones are OK so they are in the radio/s ‘by the cut-off date’. On this neat Shoutcast list I found, for exemple, one of my main favs…”Classic Rock Planet HD”, it’s ‘on’ and going right now as I type this. Bye, I don’t want to be told to stop making the thread hostage, on the contrary.

4. J J

Well, it’s not ‘me’ I guess, it’s working as designed: I pulled a couple of streams from this webpage and set it as presets #10 & 11 etc. and they both worked fine (plus Ray’s “Caroline Flashback” as initially reported). It’s then a matter of finding the correct ones for your specific favorite stations, not ‘that’ easy really, as I found out the hard way today.

5. J J

Above all, a big THANK YOU for trying to find and offering this pretty good ‘alternative solution’ to the Reciva demise after 04/30/21. KUDOS.

I’m pretty good with computers, I actually built the two desktops that I’m presently using. My network consists of at least 60 different devices etc. For many of them I set my own chosen IP address (> DHCP server set @ 0-99 so…’above’). Etc., etc. But I *really* need help getting this excellent idea (as long as it works as ‘designed’ after May 1st ’21, right? IT SHOULD given how independently it should work) to work (with my three GDI-IRDT200 (Grace Digital) players.

I was easily able to follow your directions and (most importantly, to make sure that I did it right!) be able to listen to ‘your’ R. Caroline Flashback station right away. Boy I was happy about it, about finding ‘another way’, given what’s going to happen soon with this now, technically and generally speaking, obsolete radios.

I have located and tried a good number of stations’ URL during the ‘Notepad’ sequence “File1” line with absolutely no success whatsoever. Of course I’ve changed the file name to the next available preset #, “Preset11.pls”, “Preset12.pls” et al, up to the 25 I want (and ‘can’?) set with my IRDT-200’s, giving them a Reciva (My Stuff / My Streams) as instructed a 01–25 NAME, plus the “http://192.168.1.222:80/Preset25.pls” (My main desktop PC has that IP address, vs the 201 yours), save everything, try again with other stations, “Station Unavailable” is what I get every time, shoot! I hate to give up on this as much as I dislike bothering you or any other fellow enthusiast with this situation.

What am I doing wrong?! I can’t find the culprit. I suspect the URL streams, needless to say it. Also, I’m using in ALL the Notepad presets part the same “File1= / Title1= /Length1=” up in front of those lines, I don’t see what they should f.i. follow each preset’s #.

I wanted to ‘memorize’ a few Oldies / Classic Rock / French stations that I listen to before ‘it’ happens, the inevitable now. I do have ‘the 25 of them’ in the regular presets now but I feel that if and when they change locations (URL streams) or simply disappear maybe, that’s it with the G.D. radio internet radio capability while by using your proposed intelligent, longer-lasting solution for sure (again, if all works as you think it will), by simply altering a bit the affected presets little programming, voilà, back in business!

Here it is a handful of my favorite stations, maybe yourself or another I.R. user in the forum willing to give a hand could try to ‘very temporarily’ of course make them work fine, give me the advice that I know I need, and perhaps in the process expand the scope of the idea and help other people trying to do the same. No obligation whatsoever, OK.

“Classic Rock Planet HD”, “4U Classic Rock”, “Chante France” & “Nostalgie Chansons Françaises”, that’s enough…work, thanks in advance.

There is no big rush, I’ll check this thread once a day for the next few days during the week, I badly want I guess to find out what I am doing wrong and hopefully fix it. Plus not giving up easily re: this project!

?

1. J J

THANK YOU, P., + directly here, sorry. I’m actually NOT a Forum rat, the opposite rather.
        I’m having a hard time finding the corresponding streams for those (3-12 now) stations in the French language. I’m now at the RFI Monde site, trying to extract that one…no success ‘yet’. I tried “Inspect” then Network trying to find it (I read somewhere to do that to find the *real* stream in the context, but honestly, how dumb…I can’t seem to find it. It’s a matter of method most likely. It’s harder I guess with non-English stations that you can usually find more easily around. I need to figure this out so I can myself adjust these and any other streams I want to change, etc. And sorry for the long rants, I felt a need to explain.

1. Paul Trynoski

There are several ways to find steams in Reciva. Here is what I use:

To find streams not in Reciva, I use the Firefox Ant Video downloader addon.

No guarantees, but these may be some of the links you are seeking:

03 Nostalgie Best of 60’s 15 Beatles Radio
          04 Nostalgie Best of 70’s 16 All ‘60s All The Time
          05 France Info 17 Oldies But Goldies DE
          06 France Inter 18 Antenne Rock Softrock DE
          07 RFI Monde 19 San Francisco’s 70s Hits
          08 RTL France 20 1.FM Classic Rock Replay

While .pls files seem to be favored here, I prefer .m3u. No extra lines to format. Just paste a streaming link into Notepad and save the one-line file as .m3u

6. frankyvee

Has anyone looked into using VLC to make this work? I’m just thinking this is exactly what VLC is suited for and maybe easier than configuring a Microsoft IIS web server.

1. J J

Well, the .pls files play fine here with VLC but I don’t want to have to fully rely on the PC to listen to these streams, myself. If you point your VLC app for instance (I’m thinking of my Android TV Box here, OK) to the C:/inetpub/wwwroot directory, they should play fine too. I haven’t done it, I prefer to listen to them from my Grace Digital internet radios ‘better connected’ to our audio amplifiers/receivers I guess in the family room and master bedroom. It wasn’t that difficult I’d say to go the MS IIS server. If I could do it… ?

7. Bill Alpert

My old Sanyo radio has no “my stuff/my streams” in its menu. In this case does the related edits on the Reciva site have any impact? As it stands, I can browse the Reciva database and save presets, which I have done. But that’s the extent of my options.

8. Rob

Hello Ray-
    Thank you again for all your help (in the other Reciva posting) for getting IIS running (which I was finally successful).

To possibly help other motivated people also experiencing problems with IIS, some points that helped me get things working include:

Turning off Windows Firewall for the private network was necessary (at least for me).
    There are probably other ways to get here, but I right-clicked on Network (in File Explorer), Click Windows Firewall, Turn Windows Firewall on or off, under “Private network settings” Turn off Windows Firewall (not recommended).

Open ISS- After pressing the Windows button, type IIS to start Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager. Under Connections, click around on the directory tree to get to Default Web Site. Right-click on Default Web Site to Edit Permissions…. That should bring up wwwroot Properties, click the Sharing tab, and the Sharing…. button which brings up a File Sharing window. For me, only until I had “Everyone” added in the list did mine work- you can select the entries under Name by clicking the drop-down button. I don’t know how many entries are needed, but mine includes “Everyone”, “Homegroup”, “IIS_IUSRS”, my account, and “SYSTEM”. For me, nothing worked unless “Everyone” was present in the list under Name. I also gave everyone in the list the Permission Level of “Read/Write”. SYSTEM was “Owner”.

One thing that a very knowledgeable friend (used to do network administration for a living) told me that ISS is a horrible system. When it works, great; but can be a NIGHTMARE to troubleshoot. And in general, things that work on Windows 7 may/may-not work on Windows 8 and may/may-not work the same way on Windows 10, and may be different on different versions of Windows 10, etc., etc. There are so many variables in configurations, options on/off, etc. that figuring things out can be extremely difficult. I did eventually figure out what wasn’t working on my IIS setup, but my friend gave me little-to-no chance initially. In all honesty, I got lucky!

9. Andrew

Why didn’t Qualcom just start Charging users $5 a month for Access to Reciva Server. They already have User ID and Password, it would be easy to monetize the Database and keep it running.. the Users would be happy and Qualcom would be making money off of the deal. Now it will be a total loss for all the users and for the Platform in general.. End of an ERROR !!

1. Rob

Hello Andrew-
      I like your idea, especially to minimize the amount of electronic waste created by this unfortunate action (closing Reciva), however I’d respectfully challenge the economics of $5/month. Within one year, that’s about the cost of the new CCrane WiFi3 (when taking advantage of their offer of half-off previous customers), which if purchased, should last far longer than 12 months.
      Unfortunately, I strongly suspect that the internet radio market is way too small for the likes of Qualcomm to care in the slightest as they make tons on chips going into smartphones running apps capable of doing basically a very similar thing.
      I’d like to see a $5 permanent work-around, sign me up for that!
      Regards,
      Rob

10. GersBea

Since 2011 I have an internet radio using Reciva just for listening to some of my prefered radiostations (I am German).

So I am quite sad that Reciva is putting down there service.
    For the last few days I looked up quite a number of threads concernig the shutdown and how to deal with it.

I feel that Reciva’s owner

Qualcomm Technologies International, Ltd.
    Company No. 3665875
    Churchill House, Cambridge Business Park,
    Cowley Rd., Cambridge, CB4 0WZ, UK

is just fed up with running that website.

Has anybody inquired wether they would give website and software to a free Project?

1. Pteranodonte

I asked them if they could disclose the protocol, here is their reply:

Hello,

We’re sorry but we’re not at liberty to disclose this information. Additionally the hardware in each Reciva-based radio has a unique key which would not work with any other service, as the service is designed around this.

Regards and apologies,
      Stations Support
      —–
      Qualcomm Technologies International, Ltd., Churchill House, Cambridge Business Park, Cowley Road, Cambridge CB4 0WZ

11. Dan Van Hoy

Ray, I tested the theory that the presets would still work after April 30 by blocking the IP address of the Reciva Website, 72.32.73.240 (seems they are also using 241, and 242 is Reciva.net) in my router connection to the CC Wifi radio thus simulating the loss of the portal. The radio was unable to connect via the presets once it could not connect to the Reciva server. I assume this would be the same with Grace and other radios. Any comment of feedback? Did I miss something?

1. Paul Trynoski

My experience differs. I have presets set up locally as described above on my Grace Solo. When I block reciva.com at the router, I lose access to My Stations and My Streams, but my presets continue to work, as does My History. Presets and History seem to be radio, rather than server based. Also, with reciva.com blocked, access to Serviio via UPnP is not affected.

1. Simon Marks

My experience also suggests the presets will outlive the Reciva service. Create a preset in “My Streams”, then load it up on your radio and lock it into a manual button. Then delete the preset from Reciva.com. The stream continues to play, whether it’s in “My Streams” or not. History also continues to be unaffected.

12. Dan Srebnick

If anyone is serious about reverse engineering the protocol and building a new Reciva list server, the thing to do would be to get a whole session capture (using tcpdump) from the time the radio is turned on through a list refresh. If we get enough captures for reference we could then analyze via Wireshark to determine what the radios expect of the server component. While this not trivial, lacking an API, it is the best opportunity for anyone who later wishes to do a session analysis.

Since I can run tcpdump on my perimeter network device, it looks like I have a to-do in the next couple of weeks. If any other interested parties are also capable, please do the same. It would be good to have more than one capture for future reference.

As far as 4/30 being a cutoff, once we have the session data we can work around IP or DNS dependencies. So all will not be lost if we get the data now.

1. Andrew (grayhat)

Hi Dan, before you start dumping traffic, have a look here

the URL carries a bunch of Perl modules designed to search/query/pull streams from a number of services (including Reciva), by looking at the requests they make (and together with some traffic dumps) it may be possible to reconstruct the “APIs” and build some software layer tricking the WebRadio into thinking it’s talking to the real Reciva server, the advantage would be that, having the APIs for other streaming services, those may as well be integrated into the software so widening the number of available stations 😀 !

13. Andrew (grayhat)

Hi Ray, thanks for the tip, I don’t own one of those “radios” but it will be useful and may work for other “internet receivers” too, as for the “linux” setup, given that the server doesn’t need much horsepower since it will just be serving out small files used to direct the receiver to the actual stream, it may be possible to setup a small/cheap raspberry PI as a webserver, in such a case it would be cool opening a project on GitHub and putting there all the files and instructions needed to configure the rPI

Willing to move the whole thing one step forward, it may be nice to reverse engineer the Reciva API and put together some kind of “proxy” which could receive requests from the receiver, translate and forward them to some other aggregator and then once the response is received, translate it back to the expected format and feed it to the receiver 😀 !

1. Andrew (grayhat)

Did a bit of search and found a Perl module which pulls streams and lists from the reciva service

while far from being something complete, it may be useful in case someone would try reverse engineering the reciva API and build some “compatibility shim”, in such a case, the network where the internet receiver sits may be configured to redirect all requests to the reciva domain toward a local server which will then “emulate” the real reciva server but use some other streaming service, that could bring new life to those receivers 😀 !

Oh, and building such a “proxy” emulating the Recive may also be interesting if it could be possible to somewhat “interface” it with services like (e.g.) http://radio.garden that would give a wide selection of stations 😀 !

2. Laurence N.

It would be very easy to duplicate this setup on a raspberry pi. I guarantee it has enough horsepower to do this. A computer from 2000 has enough power to run this. Here are the basic instructions for Linux:
      1. Get a webserver. Probably this will be Nginx or Apache. The package repositories will have this. If you would like tutorials about how to install one, a quick search will find several. I suggest you search “Install [server] on [your distribution name]” to find one. Here’s one for the Pi: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/remote-access/web-server/nginx.md
      2. Assign a static IP and/or local DNS name to your server as described above.
      3. Place your pls files in the server’s directory. Usually, this is /var/www/html, but you may have changed this. If you’re not sure, it should be listed in the tutorial you followed or the server configuration file.
      The same steps will work on Mac OS, but you’ll need to install the server differently. Both popular webservers will work, but you will probably want to use homebrew to install them. Be aware that you will have to keep the computer running the server turned on for the radio to work.
      On the other hand, it might be nicer to use a remote server for this. A public Github repo containing PLS files can be kept up to date and continue to work for everybody. We can also host such files on a Github-managed server. As long as one is set up before May, it should continue to be functional and does not require individual users to set up their own server. If anyone wants me to do this, reply and I can start the project as it’s fairly basic. Otherwise, I won’t bother as I don’t have such a radio myself.

14. neil

I wonder if anyone has tried looking at the webserver that holds the “full” Recevia data now and make a copy of it before it shuts down.
    You could then, conceivably, serve that on your home network (similar to the above) , and add an entry to the DNS server on your network (in your home router) and make the address for Recevia point to your local host.
    It would stay static forever & eventually be full of errors but your Internet radio would still work.
    ( I don’t own an internet radio, so I can’t test it – what is the address that the radios look at to get station lists anyway?)

15. Brett Saylor

Ray (and Thomas) – thanks for providing these instructions. While the process is a bit technical, I was able to get my Grace GDI-IR2600 wi-fi radio pointed to an IIS server running on my home PC and playing the Radio Caroline stream in less than 10 minutes. The only issue I ran into on my Windows 10 machine was that the inetpub/wwwroot folder was protected and wouldn’t let me move a .pls file into it – I had to change the permissions on the folder to make that work. That may or may not be an issue for other users, but is easy to fix if it is.

I am extremely happy to have a wi-fi receiver that is completely under my control and not destined to become a boat anchor after the April 30, 2021 Reciva shut-off. Thanks again for the instructions!