Category Archives: News

BBC World Service program discusses Chinese jamming

BBCSWOverToYouIn the latest episode of Over To You, host Rajan Datar discusses how the BBC World Service’s shortwave transmissions are being affected by jamming in parts of Asia. It’s a short but informative episode.

Even Datar and his guest, Nigel Fry (Head of Distribution for BBC Global News), could appreciate the irony that while China is investing a substantial number of resources in jamming BBC WS English broadcasts, the BBC World Service is voluntarily trimming their English offerings anyway. What a gift to those in China trying to control access to the global press!

Thanks to the Southgate ARC for the tip.

(Source: Over To You)

Over To You explores the way that the World Service’s shortwave transmissions are being affected by jamming in parts of Asia, following up from an email from a listener in West Bengal who was having problems listening to the service. With the help of the World Service’s head of business development, we find out how jamming of the World Service shortwave transmissions inside China is spilling over into neighbouring countries, and explore what the BBC can do to redress the situation through international organisations.

Click here to listen to the full interview.

BBC World Service to “simplify” English and cut Arabic on shortwave

BBC-WorldServiceSadly, the BBC World Service is going forward with cuts that had been announced in 2012.

Global English service is being reduced, but Arabic services are being cut altogether. The BBC expect to lose 1.5 million listeners to Global English cuts, 800,000 listeners to Arabic cuts.

Fortunately, they will maintain all shortwave service into Sudan.

Here is the full press release:

(Source: BBC Media Centre)

25 March 2013

The World Service English global schedule will be simplified with fewer regional variations from Sunday 31 March 2013 and shortwave Arabic broadcasts will cease.

The reductions to shortwave services were announced in October 2012 as part of the UK government’s 2010 spending review. BBC World Service on FM and online and on television will not be affected and no language services are closing.

Shortwave and medium wave transmissions in English will be reduced to a minimum of 6 hours in total each day. This will generally be two periods of between 2 and 4 hours each, usually at peak listening times in the morning and evening to help minimise disruption. The changes will have less impact in regions where World Service is increasingly accessed via partner stations or online and in countries where FM is widely available.

Steve Titherington, Senior Commissioning Editor for BBC World Service, said: “We know that increasing numbers of people are accessing World Service on FM, online, and television. For those who can’t access these platforms, we’ve tried to ensure that they will continue to hear to the best the World Service has to offer at times of the day when they are most likely to tune in.”

“As part of the new schedule we will endeavour to have a mixture of news, current affairs and a mix of programmes covering the arts, science and human interest stories.” says Titherington.

A new programme, The Newsroom, will replace World Briefing. Outlook will be extended to an hour-long format and offer a new approach to covering arts, music and humanities following the closure of The Strand. Every Friday, The 5th Floor will run in the prominent Outlook time slot offering a review of the pick of the BBC’s 27 language services programing – in English.

The estimated loss of listeners to Global English on shortwave will be around 1.5m listeners, equivalent to 1.3% of the total Global News English audience on any platform.

BBC Arabic audiences are estimated to reduce by 800,000 as a result of the closure of shortwave broadcasts.

In the Arabic speaking world, the World Service broadcasts on a network of FM relays, a 24-hour television channel and thebbcarabic.com website.

Shortwave services to Sudan are not affected as the shortwave service is currently the most viable method of broadcasting to this large region.

CommRadio CR-1 training videos

Don Moore, founder of CommRadio, has uploaded training videos for the CommRadio CR-1. These offer a pretty comprehensive overview of the CR-1, especially in terms of functions and menu structure.

Training Video 1 – Overview

Training Video 2 – Tuning

Training Video 3 – Menus and Functions

NHK Radio Japan to end shortwave service to North America

NHK-Radio-JapanI’ve heard from several sources that NHK Radio Japan will end shortwave service to North America on March 31st, 2013.  No doubt, this is due to the April closing of the Montsinéry site in French Guiana.

NHK is one of the few “big” broadcasters that still targeted North America. In truth, I’m happy to see NHK close down the North American service rather than closing down all shortwave services. Many radio hobbyists in North America will still be able to hear their broadcasts targeting other parts of the world–it’ll just take a little more DXing–but we won’t get that big signal from Montsinéry.

PCJ Radio International radiogram, March 31st

pcj

(Source: PCJ Media)

On March 31st, 2013 PCJ Radio International will conduct a digital text through analogue shortwave broadcast of a radiogram.

Setting: MFSK32

Date: March 31, 2013

Time: 0227UTC

Frequency: 9955khz

This test will have a message in English and Spanish for listeners in Cuba and Latin America. Those in the South Eastern part of the United States will also be able to tune in and record the 2 to 3 min transmission. If all goes as planed the Cuban jamming against 9955 kHz won’t have any effect on the message we will transmit.

For information on the software needed to decode this radiogram visit the following URL:

http://www.pcjmedia.com/component/content/article/1-latest-news/224-pcj-radio-radiogram-test-march-27-2013

DRM tests from Moscow starting tomorrow morning

drmlogoThe WRTH Facebook page has noted that DRM tests from Moscow will take place on 25,900 kHz starting Friday, March 22nd (tomorrow) at 10:00 UTC and ending on Saturday, March 23rd at 10:00 UTC.

Details of each broadcast can be found here–see English version via Google Translate.

They’re asking that all DRM reception reports be logged in this online forum with a detailed description and even sound clips of audio reception, if possible.

Montsinéry transmitter site in French Guiana to close early April

(Photo: TDF)

(Photo: TDF)

According to the French language newspaper France-Guyane, the TDF transmitter site in Montsinéry, French Guyana, will shut down in early April.

Citing a lack of listeners, newer communications mediums (like the Internet/satellite) and the fact that much of the developing world is now politically “stable,” [obviously discounting Zimbabwe] delegate René Iafrate explained that it no longer makes sense to keep the site open:

Mais il n’est plus au goût du jour. « Il y a plusieurs raisons : la concurrence d’internet et des plates-formes satellitaires, et aussi le fait qu’un grand nombre de pays en développement qui constituaient nos cibles principales soient de plus en plus stables politiquement » explique René Iafrate.

The six employees who currently work at Montsinéry will be trained and given jobs in broadcast fields plus porteurs (more promising). The site itself will be dismantled within six to nine months.

Click here to view the original article in French or click here to view it in English via Google Translate.

This news was announced in mid-February, but it appears the closure is still on-track. Montsinéry relays a number of international broadcasters, so it’ll be interesting to see where they go for shortwave service to the target areas Montsinéry once covered.