Shortwave is so cool that the digital nerds are now working on reproducing it on the Internet. It’s got a great interface, authentic sounding noise between stations, a train passing by on one station, some nice music, several interesting spoken pieces and at least two undocumented stations, one a numbers station, maybe both. It even has an audio to text display rolling across the bottom. If you haven’t already posted it on the SWLing Post, I think folks there would enjoy it a lot. I certainly did!
Thank you, Ron. I love the interface and think it’s fascinating that they chose the metaphor of shortwave radio as a means of interacting with these audio pieces.
In addition to its regularly- scheduled programming, UBMP (Uncle Bill’s Melting Pot), a program that presents music from around the world along with a little comedy now and then, will be presenting the following hour-long holiday specials for the Americas in December:
1. Uncle Bill’s X-Mess Special, featuring Christmas music from around the planet, unusual holiday customs, a laugh or three and other stuff to help you escape the 86th version of that song you just heard 85 times…
Tuesday, Dec 25 8-9pm Eastern US time (meaning Wednesday, 0100-0200 UTC) on WBCQ 5130 kHz for the Americas
2. Uncle Bill’s Rockless New Year’s Eve Special: We’ll take a look at some of the more unusual NYE / New Year’s Day rituals around the world with appropriate music to go with the countries in question. If you like to wear weird underwear, set fire to things or gorge on grapes, we may have just the thing for you…
Monday Dec 31 7-8pm Eastern US Time (meaning Tuesday, 0000-0100 UTC) on WBCQ 5130 kHz for the Americas
Monday, Dec 31, 1800-1900 UTC on Space Line, 9400 kHz, directed to Western Europe
From the Isle of Music, December 16-22
This week, we celebrate Formell y Los Van Van’s nomination for Best Tropical Latin Album in the GRAMMY awards by listening again to our interview with Samuel Formell and music from the album Legado.
The broadcasts take place:
1. For Eastern Europe but audible well beyond the target area in most of the Eastern Hemisphere (including parts of East Asia and Oceania) with 100Kw, Sunday 1500-1600 UTC on SpaceLine, 9400 KHz, from Kostinbrod, Bulgaria (1800-1900 MSK)
2. For the Americas and parts of Europe, Tuesday 0100-0200 UTC (New UTC) on WBCQ, 7490 KHz from Monticello, ME, USA (Monday 8-9PM EST in the US). This has been audible in parts of NW, Central and Southern Europe with an excellent skip to Italy recently.
3 & 4. For Europe and sometimes beyond, Tuesday 1900-2000 UTC and Saturday 1200-1300 UTC (New CETs) on Channel 292, 6070 KHz from Rohrbach, Germany.
Uncle Bill’s Melting Pot, December 16 & 18, 2018
Episode 92, The Naughty Episode, presents songs from vintage English language and German-language party records.
1.Sunday 2300-2330 UTC (6:00PM -6:30PM Eastern US) on WBCQ The Planet 7490 KHz from the US to the Americas and parts of Europe
2. Tuesday 2000-2030 UTC (NEW CET) on Channel 292, 6070 KHz from Rohrbach, Germany for Europe. If current propagation conditions hold, the broadcast should reach Iceland AND Western Russia due to a long skip.
Marion’s Attic, a unique program produced and hosted by Marion Webster featuring early 20th Century records, Edison cylinders etc played on the original equipment, comes on immediately before UBMP on Sundays from 2200-2300 UTC on WBCQ 7490 Khz.
Please support the SWLing Post by adding us to your whitelist in your ad blocker. Our advertisers are by invite only and are only radio related--no junk ads here! Ads are what helps us bring you premium SWLing content! Thank you so much!