Regular readers of the SWLing.com blog will be aware that I am passionate about going portable/mobile with my radio listening hobby. There’s just nothing like communing with both nature and a bunch of electrons whizzing along the wire!
As a follow-up to an article I wrote several years ago, I have now prepared two new YouTube videos entitled Preparing for Your Next DXpedition – Parts 1 and 2.
Part 1 covers:
– why we should even think about bothering to go portable with the radio
– the goals to consider when undertaking a DXpedition
– planning your listening depending on the time of day and time of year
– the all important decisions regarding location
Part 2 discusses:
– choosing the right radio for portable operations
– your options for powering the radio
– the antennas you could consider including on the trip
– handy auxiliary equipment
– references and notes to take along with you
– the importance of operator comforts while away
– developing a checklist…..so that you don’t forget to take something important!
These videos will be of interest to shortwave radio listeners and new amateur radio operators. Hopefully, they may be able to assist you in further enjoying our great hobby. They are embedded in this blog post below. You can also view these and other videos on my YouTube channel at Rob Wagner’s YouTube Channel
As always, thanks for watching and your comments are always welcome. 73 and good DX to you all,
Rob Wagner, VK3BVW, is the author of this post and a regular contributor to the SWLing Post. He also blogs at the Mount Evelyn DX Report.